SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chara2

Is it time to compare our tomato growing records?

chara2
13 years ago

Greetings to all!

Allthough there are a few tomatoes in the garden loaded with fruit, the year is almost over and I'm thinking on the next year selection. But before I wanted to share my notes from this year grow-out. I started my seeds in the first week of January and set them out in to 5 gal. SWC by the first week of April. I had a very good crop but some of these varieties are not going to make to my 2011 list.

In the spring I had 2 plants of each of the following:

Jetsetter F1 - a very prolific,disease resistant and tasty. Will grow again - a back up, fool proof variety.

Jubilee - prolific, disease resistant and very tasty. The first to set a truss of fruit(4/10/10). Will definitely grow again - a must to have for me.

Brandy Boy - a tasty and pretty but wasn't prolific and was the first with to ketch some leaf disease. Not for 2011. Maybe sometimes in the future.

HillBilly - a tasty and pretty but wasn't prolific enough. Not for the 2011 - maybe in the future if I have some extra space.

White Livingston's - a tasty but I didn't like it's color and had some BER problems - so, No.

Green Giant - that was a surprise. Despite the fact that it took me a some time to learn when it was ripe, and a few of the first fruits ended up flying across the fence in the woods - excellent taste and beautiful interior and texture. A must to have for me - definitely for 2011.

Green Zebra - never again. Had a lot of BER, almost every fruit and had a lot of the leaf problems.

Goliath Bush - a very prolific, tasty and firm - even want to say "crispy". Will grow again, if find the seeds.

Yellow Submarine - a prolific and pretty cherry type. Was the first to have a ripe fruit. As of today - I still have 1 plant with the fruits ripening, so it is almost 11 months old. Will grow again.

My fall season included a few new varieties:

Black Cherry (in the picture below)- a very tasty, beautiful cherry type. Yes forever! It is going in to my Thanksgiving salad today and I'm sure it will be in the Christmas's also.

Sara Black (in the picture below) - loaded with a large green fruit, so it will be in the Christmas's dinner indeed.

So far I like her strong stamina, but will make my decision after the tasting.

So, what are your the best and the worst? Please, share!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Irina

Comments (39)