SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Interesting "teaser" in today's USA Weekend

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Very short article about canning in today's USA Weekend magazine that comes in the Sunday paper. Mentioned Spike Gjerde, a chef who owns a "farm-centric..Kitchen" in Baltimore. It said he will can more than 60,000 lbs of tomatoes (obviously not by himself) as well as 70 other types of produce "at his newest venture...a 5,000-square-foot diner-meets-preservation facility."

I wonder if the preservation part is open to the public? If he's giving classes? The article ends with a mention of food safety "The simplest way to can safely is to add vinegar to lower the pH somewhere below 4.5. Then pasteurize the can in a water bath. Kill everything, and make sure it stays dead." Oversimplification, but at least he mentioned it (it's in quotes so I assume it was a quote from the chef).

The reporter says the chef recommends The River Cottage Preserves Handbook for "reputable" recipes. I found it on Amazon, the recipes are British, one recipe on the Amazon website was for apple-lemon curd and as usual in the UK did not call for any processing (contrary to what the USA Weekend article recommended). Some buyers have commented that this book is not for the novice, does not include processing instructions, and uses produce that is not commonly available in the US. Others have said that it is perfect for a beginner (which scares me a little, with the lack of processing instructions and recipes like the curd).

I think it's good that food safety was stressed in the article, but am a bit surprised that the chef (or reporter) didn't recommend a USDA-approved source for recipes, if there was only room for one source in the article, rather than what looks like another chef-inspired "boutique" book - and it wasn't even written by the chef that was interviewed!

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 11:10

Comments (9)