SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indiatree

Horrible Customer Service Experience at David Austin Roses USA

indiatree
14 years ago

Last week I received a letter in the mail from David Austin Roses stating that an order of roses that I had received in February (3 months ago) had never been paid for. The letter stated that my credit card had been declined twice. The letter was very threatening and stated that if I didn't remit payment within 7 days, "further action" would be taken against me. The letter was signed my Jo VonBargen who was listed as the General Manager.

Here is the story. I placed the order online in January using a one-time use credit card number that my bank will generate for safe shopping online. The number is good for one purchase and the merchant has to place the charge within 7 to 10 days; otherwise the card number expires. That's what contributes to the card number being secure. The card was connected to my Paypal account.

6 days after placing the order, I noticed that David Austin Roses had not processed the charge. So I called them and notified them that they would have to place the charge soon, or the card number would expire. The representave told me that they were very behind on shipping the roses and processing payments, but that she would look up my order and process the charge. About two weeks later, I noticed that my account still showed no charges had been processed from David Austin and that the card number was now expired.

So I called David Austin Roses again and told them that I would have to give them a new card number. The woman remembered me and said that they were very behind in processing payments and shipping and that they were actually "shipping the roses out before they processed the payments and credit cards". I told her again that I would need to give her a new card number. She said that "she was really busy", and that it would be better for her if she could just process my order in the order it was received and not take the new card number. When they got to my order, if the credit card was declined, someone would call me. I was stunned at the disorganization going on over there and hung up the phone.

I received that order of roses at my house sometime in late February. Since that time, I also placed two additional orders over the phone using my regular credit card number and charges from David Austin roses showed up on my credit card statements. I never heard from anyone over there that something was wrong, and I figured they had just tacked the charge for the original order onto one of the other two phone orders that I placed.

Then last week, I received the threatening letter in the mail from Jo VonBargen implying that I don't pay my bills and that they would take further action against me unless I remitted payment immediately. I looked back over my credit card statements and realized that they never charged me for the first online order. I called David Austin Roses and asked to speak with Ms. VonBargen. She wouldn't come to the phone and I was instructed by the representative named Shelley that she would take my credit card info and process the payment. I explained to her the series of events that had led up to me receiving this letter. She seemed utterly disinterested in what I had to say and in my frustration regarding how I had been treated and in the extremely poor customer service they are providing.

I am definitely going to relay this information to the representatives in England. I am sure they will be thrilled to hear that the operations here are so disorganized that they are shipping out roses before they even process the credit card payments. They are also alienating long standing customers like myself with threatening letters that they have no business sending.

One more thing. One of the orders that I placed whas sent to me in duplicate. I received one box one day, and a second box containing the same roses a couple days later. I called them and said I could spray the roses down, and if they emailed me a prepaid UPS label, I could ship them back. The rep told me she would have to call me back. I never heard from her again, and the roses just sat in my basement and I wound up composting them. At least if she had told me to keep them, I could have given them away or whatever. I also told this to Shelley, and again, she didn't seem surprised or concerned in any way.

They need some new management over there, because Jo VonBargen has completely failed in providing proper customer service and a billing, payment, and shipping system that actually works.

Comments (42)

• brother_cadfael
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Indiatree,
    I understand your frustration. All the vendors are having a hard time in this economy and I'm sure they've had to cut back staff in order to continue to provide their product at a competitive price.

I had a few glitches with DA roses this year also, but I was expecting them to be very busy and tried not to put any extra pressure on them. Shelley was very polite and solved a few issues for me. Jo Has always been very polite and professional with me, I have been dealing with her for almost 9 years and have never been disappointed with her professionalism or service.

I think you're a little angry with the details of the misfortunes you experienced with your order. You may not be aware of the atmosphere of shipping season at a mail order rose nursery... but I'm not making excuses for them, only asking you to be understanding of the hardships of the industry in this economy and with a payment method that they were not prepared to use.

Your experience with DA roses this year is not the usual experience... trust me.

Please take some time to cool down before you react too harshly to the situation.

After the shipping season is done I am certain they will remedy the situation to your satisfaction.

BC:)

• jerijen
    14 years ago

We also make use of one-time card-numbers, for security reasons. (This is a GOOD ending story.)

Recently, we placed an order with Vintage. After DH ordered, we decided we needed an addition to the order.
    Since the card-number used for the first order would not carry the additional item, DH sent the second order with a different one-time-use number.

OOPS! We received an email, saying that the card number was declined. They had just added the second order on to the first, of course.
    We contacted Gita at Vintage, explained that there'd been two different numbers.
    She looked, said basically "OOPS!" and fixed it.

Everyone makes mistakes, and I would not judge a business harshly for that.
    But I DO take note of how the business handles the errors.
    Vintage was right on target.

Jeri

• Related Discussions

Update RE Customer Service Experience at David Austin USA

Q

Comments (7)
    I was going to suggest you review them at reseller ratings.com but they aren't listed. I'm glad it worked out and do feel you should mention this to corporate so that it doesn't happen again. As I said in your other post, they were wrong to send you the roses to begin with when the one time card number was declined. Fact was you placed multiple orders this year according to your other post; no one should get treated poorly when trying to rectify a situation. You mentioned that who ever took the info over the phone didn't seem to care you tried multiple times to pay. This is the person I'd be pissed off at. Jo's letter to you was probably computer generated and the same one that goes out to everyone that hasn't paid. I've dealt with my share in the last year or so due to my daughters medical bills. They send the bills to my ex, he never pays them, eventually it goes to collections but they find my name and address instead of his. So far I have not run across any rude/nasty people. They all listen to my story, see the history and offer to help me figure out how to pay it.
    ...See More

Has anyone grown Buttercup Rose, David Austin Rose

Q

Comments (13)
    I spoke to DA just this morning. The nice Customer Service Lady said that its a good rose for my climate (very similar to the Pacific Northwest). She said that its a heathy rose but not so hardy if I lived closer to the sea. (There's a couple very, very small mountains between the sea and my garden so I'm ok) I also asked why its a lesser known variety. She answered a distinctive London accent, "it's just an older variety, we're not hiding it or anything. It's a lovely rose, beautiful cups with fewer petals so the rain doesn't affect them as much. It would do well for you in Donegal as long as your a bit inland from the coast." I hope that helps. I'm not sure what your zone is. M.
    ...See More

Crown gall on David Austin rose order

Q

Comments (33)
    Just wanted to update on the crown gall problem with DA. They have since replaced the plants and they looked fine except for again there was some mold on one of the canes. I think that it is more of a shipping problem than a DA problem. Heat and moisture. Anyway when I called them I also asked if the crown gall was in the field. Their response was that they "do their best" to keep diseases out of the field. Unfortunately I did not save their email to me or I would share it. So we will see how these roses fare. They are looking pretty good. All kinds of shoots coming out and I never know what to prune off. I know to cut the inward facing shoots but still, I just hate cutting too much. I don't grow many roses because of my climate on the central Calif. coast. If it's not mildew and botrytis then it's thrips and rose slugs. I have a beautiful Marilyn Monroe that's on fortuniana and she is 5-6' (and would be just as wide if not for a fence) that I have sprayed and sprayed and still every year the botrytis comes back. Just so disheartening. Next time I think I will take Cynthia's advice and order from Roses Unlimited. Over the years I have heard nothing but great things about them. Thanks for everyone's replies, Janet
    ...See More

David Austin Roses

Q

Comments (30)
    Straw, I'd say Munstead Wood prickles me the most of these so far. The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild though seems to get me more often and effectively. Of Munstead Wood, Fisherman's Friend, and Thomas à Becket, I like the blooms of MW best for range of colour into the deepest blackish crimson imaginable all the way to vibrant pink, but especially the fragrance. Consistently, dependably, deliciously strong and intoxicating nuanced fragrance. Five years old. FF has excellent vigour, hardiness (only one winter though, and not as hard as most), rebloom, strong, warm, sweet lemony damask fragrance. Blooms can get big. Some of the early blooms displayed proliferation, but not bad. Seems to get mildew the worst of the three. Only one year old. TàB is only one, as well, but no where near the size and performance is FF. Signs of how Huey is here? Sign of settling in? I thought it would die its first season. This year though, it has put out a good amount of new growth and is eager to bloom. Seems acceptably healthy. Some black spot. The colour is like that of The Dark Lady, if a bit brighter: deep, rich pink with hints and flashes of crimson blueing slightly with age. The fragrance is different, though: it does have the true rose scent, there is a delightful lemony undertone present, but in freshly open blooms there is an element of the tea rose fragrance which I usually like, but here it presents as "hint bad breath". Luckily this element fades quickly and the more pleasant ones remain. TàB is the slightly deformed bloom. Steven
    ...See More
  • sergeantcuff
    14 years ago

I understand that vendors are having difficulties in this economy, and some posters can be too eager to trash them on this public forum.

But aren't some customers hurting in this economy as well? Sometimes people scrimp on other things so they can buy roses, and are disappointed when they receive unhealthy specimens, never get their plants at all, or receive threatening letters! When disappointed customers share their complaints here, they often don't get sympathy, but are criticized. I don't think that's completely fair. The OP of this thread contacted the business several times before she posted here.

Not naming any sources, since I don't want to incur any wrath, but I received two rugosas this year that arrived so iron-deficient that one quickly died. Two other roses were obviously bands that had been potted in one-gallon pots immediately before shipping. Should I think of these vendors as non-profits, and just send them donations and consider myself lucky if I get an as-advertised, healthy, correctly labeled plant?

Indiatree - all I can say is Good Grief! I think it's a shame you ended up composting those extra roses. If DA had been helpful and reasonable, you could have given them away and maybe DA would have gained a new customer.

• sergeantcuff
    14 years ago

I just read over my post and I realize it seems a bit harsh.

Don't mind me, I'm feeling a little prickly today, sorry.

• silverkelt
    14 years ago

Hey, this is right up my alley and let me clarify some problems being a online supplier of anything. Let me break it up into two parts

1. I am a credit manager for a fairly large company.. we send out quasi threating letters all the time, why, you might ask , due to two seperate reasons. a.) the declining value of over 60 days no payments and b.) the SHARP decline in collectible money over 90 days. If you just send basically a , hey you forget to pay us notice.. consumer stats shows a over 40% consumer ignoral of said letter, if you put a "pay now or within x # of days we may have to turn your account over to a collection agency, you recieve about 50% of your money. This is associated with a very HIGH cost of borrowing money for operating expensives, every dime you do not recieve for cash flow purposes, is a penny lost to interest of said recievable. It makes no business sense not to follow through in collecting your own money, even if you lose a X # of % consumers.. the reletive cost is low based upon the cost of borrowing money. HOWEVER, it can come accros as offensive, I understand that.

Part 2.. There is a strict good business practice you most follow using credit cards, as a supplier, you may only charge the card within x # hours of shipping product, if you do not, and complaints are filed, the credit card companies may pull your authorization to use them. Which basically would be a up a creek without a paddle, the prepaids you are using, though great to protect yourself with , are very cumbersome to a business to deal with (as is google purchase.. but lets not get started with that. A backorder of any item, can basically screw you out of collecting, what should be a cash business. Im not arguing against you using them, im just telling you, by first hand experience if you have 5 - 6 employees opereting a small branch of a business for 2 million a year.. YOU simply cannot afford to hire extra people to deal with these minor problems.

Sorry for the rant.. =)

Silverkelt

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Hey Silverkelt! That's very useful information!

We ALL do so much business these days via credit card that another perspective is vital.

Jeri

• indiatree
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to post this in a separate message, but I just received an email from David Austin Roses and Jo VonBargen apologizing for the incident and compensating me for this order. I don't know if it is tied to this message post or whatever, but now of course I feel bad. But if someone had just picked up the phone at some point and politely called me, none of this would have happened in the first place. I wasn't trying to get something for free. But how many times was I supposed to take time out of my day and call them to try and give them a new credit card number and make sure the charge went through? In any event, thank you David Austin Roses and Jo VonBargen for paying attention to what happened to me so that your other customers will continue to receive the proper type of customer service that you are normally known for.

• scardan123
    14 years ago

A common reaction of a good firm to a bad episode.
    They do not want to loose a customer, and they probably understand the fault was all on their side.
    Poor Jo, he will have had a bad day because of that, eh eh!

Just take the positive out of the story: you had the roses, you keep the money, and they have learned to be less silly.
    :-)

• sandy808
    14 years ago

You know what, there is NO excuse for bad customer service. If a business is having problems or issues, it is THEIR responsibility to address it. It is not up to the customer to have to put up with it...at all. In fact, the customer shouldn't even have a clue that anything but good things are happening at the place of business, and that they are most appreciated. When there is an inevitable glitch, profuse apologies are in order, and an immediate effort to make it right.

Blame the economy if you want. That is an excuse and is not justifiable. It is, however, a very fast way to go out of business.

By the way, I have run my own business for years. I wouldn't dream of putting any of my customers through poor service, no matter what is going on in my life at the time.

I don't spend my money in places that aren't interested in giving both a good product in a timely fashion, or good service. When that doesn't happen, someone's anger with it is justifiable. It is their money, after all, and the business doesn't have a "right" to it, unless the customer's expectations are met.

Sandy

• jaxondel
    14 years ago

Sandy,

Too bad the first paragraph of your post can't be e-mailed immediately to all mail order retailers. I applaud you for pointing out the obvious in this discussion regarding customer service, to wit: THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. We consumers are, afterall, the ones who spend the hard-earned resources that keep all those beauties like D. Austin in business. To suffer indignities for 'breaches' in which we have no culpability is outrageous in the extreme.

However, I think we consumers (definitely including me) are complicit to one degree or another . . . Otherwise, a customer service horror like Hortico wouldn't still be in operation after all these years.

• lottirose
    14 years ago

A customer is no more responsible for the problems of a vendor than a child is for the problems of a parent - there are situations where all that is acceptable is a smile and the appropriate response - it is what being responsible is all about.

• katefisher
    14 years ago

I'm curious why you would feel bad. Your business wasn't treated with value as it should have been despite a lot of effort on your part. When in fact the only effort you should have had to put forward was making the initial order and paying for it. If someone treated me the way they treated you I would expect some contrition on their part. Let them be humble and apologize, its only right.

I'm glad things worked out for you.

Kate

• allison64
    14 years ago

Kate, the reason she feels bad is because when women (yes, I am generalizing) have gotten all the way to the point of "going off" their whole being is upset. It is a horribly uncomfortable feeling and foreign. After the storm, you are balanced again. Add to that someone apologizing and voila it's remorse time! Even if we were in the right and even if it righted the wrong. I just don't think it is in most of our make up.
    Now a man. (yes, generalizing again) He would go through the same situation, "gone off" way sooner and had a beer with the person who irked him!
    Indiatree, you did right, no harm no foul and you gave an update on the issue when rectified!
    Ps my first bloom opened on my David Austin Tea Clipper today! :-) it's a beauty! I bought it from Armstrong LOL

• katefisher
    14 years ago

I see your perspective but I don't share it:) Even though I'm female also I have no problem demanding (if necessary) that my patronage be treated as though it has value. But we are all different people aren't we.

Kate

• buford
    14 years ago

I order stuff on the internet all the time using my credit card (AMEX) and have never had a problem. Once I ordered something and did not receive it, I notified AMEX and they credited it back to my account.

Sometimes I use Pay Pay, which is tied to my AMEX. I had one of those credit cards that was for a defined amount and had a lot of problems using it.

Not excusing the poor response by DA, but I think a lot of this stuff is getting too complicated for many vendors.

• sandy808
    14 years ago

Yes, things can be complex, and computers can sure be stinkers, but never should a phone complaint be shrugged off. Gosh, phones have been around for quite some time now.

I'm glad you finally got some satisfaction indiatree, and you'll most likely love your roses, but it shouldn't have been so hard to come by!

Sandy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

So, what roses did you get? Are they nice? Bloomed yet?

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

I'll simplify this matter from my own experience. I work in a business that has a definite busy season. During one three week period we do 50% of our annual business. There is no way to add temporary help for 3 weeks beyond some basic, unskilled labor for shipping/receiving.

Our employees work overtime and weekends and get real tired. They listen to complaints the whole time with those placing late and/or complex orders being the biggest complainers.

The customers don't seem to grasp the situation. They can expect perfect customer service, but sometimes it is physically impossible to give everyone exactly what they want.

• User
    14 years ago

Harry's comments about the seasonal nature of selling roses is well worth taking note of. All of these businesses are experiencing a full throttle rush of business right now and its simply not possible to add knowledgeable staff to handle the volume without compromising the quality of connectivity with customers. Its not nearly the same animal as a business that has a much more distributed flow of business throughout the year, and I think its worth taking this into consideration when you get grumpy about the quality of customer service you get. Flat out bad customer service is one thing, but slow replies to emails, blunt/brief phone calls, and order errors do not fall under the heading of bad customer service. They can't always hold your hand just the way you want 'em to; there are too many other things to attend to.

I am of the opinion that most rose buyers have no clue just how stressful and difficult the Spring shipping season is for the owners and management of these nurseries, both large and small.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

indiatree, I appreciate you posting your experience; but I have to wonder how different it would be had you not used that one use number. I am in no way faulting you; according to what you wrote you tried multiple times to let someone know that it was a one use number; they apparently are not used to them. IMO, I think you would have been better off to send a check.

I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing companies deny orders placed with numbers like this.

I don't know what the answer to this problem is. It used to be that we were charged as soon as an order was placed, then it's hard to get the money credited if they run out.

As far as the letter you got, I wouldn't get as upset over it. I just got one from my daughters orthodontist, saying my payment was overdue & that they were charging me a finance charge. I sent a letter back stating I see them every month, at no time did anyone ask me for money, let me know my payment was due nor did anyone send a bill until the threatening one came. I then went last week asking if they got my check.. long story short, every customer has a payment book, something I do not have; they removed the finance charge.

I would bring this up though to someone higher up. IMO, they should not be shipping roses that are not paid for, plus you would think that there would be something in place flagging your name for not being paid when you placed the other orders. Had that happened you might not be so pissed off about the computer generated letter from "Jo"

• sarah_rc
    14 years ago

allison64 your post is right on, made me smile
    indiana you went off, rightly so or not, who cares - you're a woman thats our prerogative, right? i think so... you and DA made it right after all so thats good. shame we're spread all over typing and can't all have that beer together and laugh it off (in our gardens, watching our DAs pop!) ha ha ha! ;) seems like some of these posters could use one.....

• sarah_rc
    14 years ago

oops not indiana i meant indiatree...

• sandy808
    14 years ago

I still stand on the premise that if a business has hung their sign out "open for business", the stress of meeting customer demand is THEIR problem, not the customers's. Otherwise, they have absolutely no business taking money from someone, and it shouldn't matter if the customer wants to use a credit card designed to prevent fraud. A credit card is a credit card. I, for one, never had a business let moss grow under their feet when I've purchased something with a credit card. The money is "claimed" before I hang up the phone.

Honestly, what consumer in their right mind wants to deal with a business that causes aggravation and stress? I think most people have enough in their lives as it is.
    Nurseries like Vintage Gardens, Roses Unlimited, Ashdown Roses and the Antique Rose Emporium make spending money on their roses seem like Santa Claus just paid a visit. It's FUN. No stress, even if a problem happens. They sure have my loyalty.

Sandy

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I have nothing but great things to say about Roses Unlimited.. Pat is a class act! She always answers my email orders; totals me up & lets me know to send a check.

The year before last I tried to order 3 of something; she didn't have that many but put me on for the next year. Come February I got my email confirming my order. We then sold our house, I emailed her to please hold my order until I had a closing date. She did. I then emailed her with the date, she shipped them right out.

Pleasure to do business with.
    I do hate to recommend her for my own selfish reasons lol
    Does anyone remember the one mail order place that got so busy due to gardenwebbers that they weren't able to keep up with demand and ended up closing?

• ehann
    14 years ago

I still stand on the premise that if a business has hung their sign out "open for business", the stress of meeting customer demand is THEIR problem, not the customers's. Otherwise, they have absolutely no business taking money from someone, and it shouldn't matter if the customer wants to use a credit card designed to prevent fraud. A credit card is a credit card. I, for one, never had a business let moss grow under their feet when I've purchased something with a credit card. The money is "claimed" before I hang up the phone.

Yes well, I think the point is stuff happens, and no business can make every customer happy, every single time, forever. They are people working behind the scenes, no robots, and let's face it.

People are not perfect.

Elaine

• lemecdutex
    14 years ago

All I can say is hope our customers do not start using those one-time cc numbers, since we receive orders more than 7 days before they can be fulfilled (we start taking orders for next year's products up to 10 months before they are available). We only charge cards when we have the product on hand and have actually, physically pulled them, to prevent charging for something we don't actually have, or can't get or whatever.

I can see using a one-time number with some business you might not fully trust (like an e-bay purchase, for instance), or some big company like Wal-Mart that is too anonymous for accountability.

Is it just me, or does the one-time number send the vendor the message: I think if I don't do this you'll cheat me. But, maybe I'm being over-sensitive!

Having been on both sides of the fence, I can see both viewpoints. Some companies deserve less tolerance than others, the ones I think deserve less tolerance include telephone companies, insurance companies, banks/credit card companies and giant conglomerates.

--Ron

• sarah_rc
    14 years ago

"we start taking orders for next year's products up to 10 months before they are available"

yes I believe that is what DA does...though its been a while since I ordered anything. They charge when they ship. That includes stuff that ships when available (months later). At least thats what they did when I ordered a couple years ago.

• sandy808
    14 years ago

Well, everyone has their own opinion and tolerance levels as to what they will put up with. For me, lack of concern, or refusal to return phone calls is something I do not need to tolerate. I certainly don't have a need to seek out aggravation, let alone spend money for it. What indiatree experienced is inexcusable.

Orders that get messed up in and of themselves is not necessarily bad service. It turns into bad service when not corrected in a timely fashion, with an apology. I think the point made here is that numerous phone calls were made, and nothing resolved. That is bad service.

I don't feel expecting the courtesy of a business to return a call within a couple of days, especially when there is a problem, is hand holding. No, people are not perfect. Sometimes messages get lost, or forgotten about, but when several messages are ignored, well, to me that is bad service, and just plain rude. I can't think of a better way to turn off a new potential rose grower. I've seen it happen. They go fishing instead.

I also fail to see the issue with the form of payment. Money is money. If a customer is considerate enough to let the business know about a special type of credit card, it shouldn't be a problem to handle the situation. I can't even imagine why anyone would feel they weren't trusted over it. It's nothing personal. For someone to be cautious about their finances is smart. If a business feels they can't handle that type of payment, that's fine, but they should say so up front, giving the customer the option of doing business elsewhere.

Again, the point made here by indiatree was the total disregard that this company had for his or her business. Gosh, if some of you people want to keep spending your money for service like this, or fail to see nothing wrong with it, by all means go for it.

Sandy

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

I'm with Sandy, bad customer service is not to be tolerated. I don't care how busy you get. It doesn't matter where I work(I now work for Wegmans which has the best customer service rating of any grocery store in the US and is always winning awards. I also run my own business.) or have worked. I've always trained my employees to take notice when a customer is mad, and need something more to make them happy (and I'm not talking about crazy people.) I also have always taught them to acknowledge the mistake, delay, whatever to the customer. The worst thing you can do to a customer is ignore them. Too often, people do not want to say, yes, we goofed up, I'm sorry, what can I do to make this better? Sometimes I know it is from embarrassment or sometimes we get that stupid ignore it and it will go away mentality, but I teach employees to resist that urge.
    If you read the Garden Watchdog negative ratings(besides scam web sites,) most complaints are about being ignored by the company, no returned phone call or returned email. I'm not talking immediately, but days later. Sometimes people are waiting a month and no reply. Even if you are insanely busy, you can write an email at sometime within a few days. If that many people are calling, a large note should be posted on the web site stating so, and what to do about concerns.
    As an example from this spring's home vegetable garden craze...
    Victory Heirloom Seeds started receiving so many orders this spring, they closed down their web site. They posted a note explaining they could not keep up with orders in a timely fashion so they would accept no more. Good customer service was more important than money. Or maybe they know good customer service means more money in the long run. They now have a note on their site saying orders are going out in just a few days.
    Pinetree Seeds and Tomato Bob's did not do this this spring, and there is a huge list of complaints on the Garden Watchdog. They have lost a lot of customers and future customers because of it.
    Remy

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

I'll put it another way. For me, buying a rose is fun. If the rose never comes, I'll likely forget about it. For the employee or owner of a nursery, ITS THEIR LIVING! So who do you think is suffering from the most stress?

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I ordered flowers online a week ago. 1-800flowers if anyone is interested. I spent a lot of time at every site looking for the perfect arrangement for my son's girlfriend.

She happened to text me a photo - it was horrible - to show how horrible, what I ordered is on the left, her's is in the middle
    {{gwi:264222}}From

Anyway, I got ripped off. Cost me about $70, add delivery to that. Had she not sent me the photo, I'd be out $70 and she'd be telling her friends about the horrible flowers I sent her (birthday & graduation from college).

1-800flowers was going to give me a $20 site credit that I would never use. I sent the photo, they ended up redelivering the flowers, asking her for the other "vase" back. The flowers still are not right as they still used cheap filler flowers.

The way I see it, the customer suffers because 1. how many people actually complain 2. like Harry says, do you really remember you were ripped off if they charge & don't send the flowers? Pretty good way to make money if you ask me.

A place like DA shouldn't be having these problems with customer service. They also should not ship roses that are not paid for. You know who ends up paying for that in the long run? You and I when they drive their prices up.

Places like this should also not take 1 time credit card numbers if they can't use them in 7 days.

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Harryshoes,
    I went back and re-read you original comment since I really wasn't disagreeing with you or anyone in particular. I was just agreeing with Sandy and expressing my beliefs about customer service.
    I don't think anyone ever said there had to be perfect customer service. Ignoring the requests/concerns of a customer is bad customer service. I know high volume, I'm talking a couple hundred thousand in a dept. before a holiday. You can't make everyone happy in that like oh... you can't make product magically appear, but you can address their concerns, possible figure out an alternative solution, etc.
    As far as saying you would likely forget about a rose never coming. I and many others would never forget. I planned meticulously what roses and other plants I've purchased for my garden. My money was not always as plentiful as it is now. I can tell you where every wrong plant or poor quality plant I've ever bought came from. I of course remember the best of ordering experiences too.
    But the real thing that bothers me about you last post is the stressed part. You or anyone can not make that assumption of who is more stressed. You do not know their life. When I had breast cancer, my garden was my outlet for stress more than any other time in my life. I wintersowed very slowly because I could hardly do it, but it gave me a sense of purpose and things to come in the spring. I dreamed through the catalogs of what to buy believing I would be there to live to see them bloom. I tended my plants best I could in spring. I'm sorry I'm getting teary eyed now. I'm going to stop and go back out to work on the garden some more.
    Remy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

I want to chime back in. Since few people know our real names, it is not right to splash the name of a clerk or general manager on the internet. What we say here goes to Google, and everyone can see it. Try it. Google the name of that woman, and it is on the internet for all to see.

I teach school, and I know how very stressed so many people are. We don't have to put up with anything, but we should go to their boss - not put it on line and discredit them for all to see. Frankly, that may even be a violation of the Terms of Service here.

It is one thing to dislike a company, but I don't like to see real names slammed by people who remain anonymous.

My daughter once sent me roses from 1-800flowers, and they were outstanding. She also sent me a type of orchid that was also beautiful, but my dog ate some of the pods and got sick. When I went to their site, there was a message that the pods were not poisonous to the dogs, but would cause temporary discomfort. They had a picture of the flowers, the exact name, and numbers to call.

Our bad experiences are often transient, and can be fixed by the right people. I am sorry that the 1-800flowers thing happened, and that they offered you so little. I hope you call the supervisor or a manager. A flower display worth $70,00 that looks like $20 cannot be fixed by a 20,00 credit. That is silly.

Sammy

• sandy808
    14 years ago

Remy, you don't know how much I miss Wegman's. I sure wish they had stores down here. They are the absolute BEST! I also would like to say thanks for "sticking up" for me. Sometimes I get jumped on for being opinionated about things like this. Can't help myself.

I actually started growing roses as a form of solace several years ago, and love it. You are so right. Whenever I hear excuses for really bad customer service, not normal human error stuff, but bad service and attitudes, I see red. Many of the customers are going through life and death experiences in their lives and are spending their money on something to bring them a little joy. Even if I'm not feeling well or extremely busy, I still make a point to return phone calls or e-mails within 24 hours, so I guess I don't understand when someone else doesn't care enough to do the same.

I always remember where I spend every dime. And apologies go a long way towards mending fences with irate customers. I finally got a nice apologetic e-mail from a business I was very upset with. It meant a great deal to me.

Sandy

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Sometimes when I start writing I don't realize where it might lead. I don't want to leave anyone wondering... it has been 4 years now and though I've gained weight and my "girls" are no longer my own, I'm completely healthy and glad to be alive : )

Sandy,
    You're welcome. There's nothing wrong with being opinionated. If we all thought the same, the world would be a very boring place : )
    My father lives on Florida now and he misses Wegmans too. Publix is not the same. He is lucky though, he lives near a very nice farmer's market so he can get good fruits and veggies.
    No one wants to be ignored or brushed off as if they don't matter. "apologies go a long way towards mending fences with irate customers" It so very true. Something so simple solves so much.
    Remy

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

ut you last post is the stressed part. You or anyone can not make that assumption of who is more stressed. You do not know their life. When I had breast cancer, my garden was my outlet for stress more than any other time in my life. I wintersowed very slowly because I could hardly do it, but it gave me a sense of purpose and things to come in the spring. I dreamed through the catalogs of what to buy believing I would be there to live to see them bloom. I tended my plants best I could in spring. I'm sorry I'm getting teary eyed now.

I'm sorry. I know what cancer is like. My dad had chemical based leukemia, 14% chance of survival.. he didn't. Treatment was horrible, he did a clinical trial, I have to say that what he went through in the month plus that he was doing the clinical trial, I don't know why anyone would fight that particular cancer.

Back to the garden & plants. When he came out of the hospital he was greeted by plants. My hubby, son & I worked really hard to plant his vegetable garden at his new house (it closed a week after being diagnosed) plus I duplicated my gardens at his house. We'd dug up a few of his roses, plus I bought more. I even bought a daylily that was not common, which I now call Matty for him.

He was speechless when he came home. We used to like to sit on his porch & watch the butterflies & hummingbirds. While he wasn't allowed near the plants due to his particular type of cancer, he could sit there and enjoy it. He wasn't allowed to eat his veggies either until he went into remission a few months later. His guardian angel gave us really warm weather until November, we were able to have his Hungarian peppers in my stuffing for Thanksgiving. Through his whole nightmare, gardening & plants brightened the time he was out of the hospital.

I'm not able to buy a lot of plants any more due to my back problems. There's a reason why I haven't added many photos to helpmefind, I'm not able to walk around the garden like I used to. I do want to buy a few roses next year & will probably be buying from David Austin. Since I'll use a regular credit card, I doubt I'll have issues and so far have not had a bad experience the last time we ordered. I'd ordered a Benjamin Britten rose, it was horrible, a phone call or email with no questions asked and they replaced it.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

Roselvr

So many people have no way to provide for their loved ones, and you did by giving such quality of life to his last few months.

Your life is an inspiration to us all. You have taken your education to a new level where it not only serves you as a job, but may serve everyone.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Sammy

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Well, I was just at a rose nursery here where I live. It is run by a father and son and has been around along time. Last year their David Austin roses came in and then promptly died. The father told Austin he was not going to pay for them because there was a problem with them. The owner wanted them replaced..or did not want to pay for them. Austin told them they had to pay. This guy said NO WAY..they had sold him a inferior product. Well at that point this nursery told them they were never doing business with them again. The son also told me that they feel Austin is pushing out roses too fast, when they should be tested for another year. Just a FYI..

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Roselvr,
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My mother died of breast cancer at 38 so I know how difficult it is.
    It is absolutely wonderful what you did for him though. He was a very lucky man to have you as his daughter.
    Remy

• karenforroses
    14 years ago

I'm glad everything worked out O.K. with David Austin. Jo, their customer service director, has always been wonderful when our rose society or I have worked with her. She probably feels terrible about this problem, and my experience with her is that she will work hard to make it right. I've had excellent luck with my Austin orders and will continue to buy from them. But I know how frustrating it can be when there is a glitch with any order.

• erasmus_gw
    14 years ago

I just have to say that I don't think Indiatree was deliberately killing roses, or should be accused of mistreating roses! She wasn't sure what to do with the extra roses, and wanted to get them back to the company but they didn't respond to her. I don't think it would have been anyone's business to think that she should have planted or potted them up when she wanted to get them back to the company.

I think Indiatree did her best to be a good customer but was treated like a bad customer. It's way beyond a slip up in customer service. I guess the only excuse is that they're a large company.