SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Preparing tomatoes for salsa question...

singcharlene
16 years ago

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for days now. The information is amazing for newbies....thank you :)

Last year was my first time canning. I did grape jam off of our grape vines with my neighbor (who knew what she was doing).

This year I canned the jam myself following exact recipes off the low sugar SureJell pectin box. Today I also made 'Katie's Plum Sauce' using the recipe off of this forum with plums from my neighbor's tree. Yum!

Anyway, I've never made salsa and have a gazillion tomatoes all over the kitchen counters.

My question is..... We like smooth salsa not chunky. I have tomatoes that I dunked in boiling water and then put through a manual food mill to remove the skins. I like smooth but will this be too runny to start off with? It has many of the tomato seeds in it which I don't mind but does it matter?

I was going to use the recipe posted below that I found on the New Mexico State Ext website but using yellow pear tomatoes and yellow bell peppers in place of the green chile. Can I add another jalapeno or two for heat or will that mess with the ph/acidity? I don't want to poison anyone!.......

Tomato/Green Chile Salsa

Yield: 3 pints

3 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes

3 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles

3/4 cup chopped onions

1 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 1/2 cups vinegar

1/2 tsp ground cumin*

2 tsp oregano leaves*

1 1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and heat, stirring frequently, until mixture boils. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Optional

I plan on trying Annie's salsa with Early Girl tomatoes too. Can I process slightly to make smooth?

Thank you.

Charlene

Comments (7)