SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekgrows

Ever Feel Overwhelmed?

ekgrows
11 years ago

I love gardening, have done it since birth. Not only is it my hobby, but it is my job. I grow, plant and pick at work, then come home and do it more. It has been a good year for the gardens - I have bumper crops of almost everything. But there is too much. It dawned on me the other day that one of the reasons I have a garden is so that I can eat fresh food from it. Well - this year, not so much. There has been so much that if I don't spend the time preserving it, it will all go bad! Let's face it - there is only so much you can eat! So while I have had fresh green beans and broccoli a couple times, most is in the freezer. My life for the past month has been like this : Gee - all 10 heads of cabbage are ready at the same time, better freeze it for cabbage soup. Too many cucumbers, time to make pickles. Picked 30 lbs of tomatoes today, and will pick 30 more in 2 days, better make salsa again, and have BLT's for dinner with some of those pickles I made. Hmm - all my peppers are red, better pick another 30 or so before they rot. Grapes are ready? Ok - I can freeze that juice to make jelly later, and what? I have to pick those again? The fridge is full, and look, I found the 5 eggplants I picked last week, guess I better eat them before they go in the compost pile! LOL.

Thought I was caught up yesterday - the garden was picked, pickles made, squash frozen, tomatoes sauced, and it dawned on me that my pears are falling. Really? Now I have to deal with bushels and bushels of pears? Too many to eat fresh, so I'll can some cinnamon pears, and make wine with the rest. By then, I'll have zucchinis the size of baseball bats, more tomatoes, more EVERYTHING!

So - I guess this season has been a little overwhelming for me. And I sure am not complaining - Thank the good Lord for blessing me with so much food! And I've been able to give a lot to friends and family, which is also a blessing to them. All the hard work is worth it - I will be very thankful come winter when I can actually ENJOY some of the food I grew, and my social life won't take a back seat to what needs to be picked, canned, frozen, cooked NOW!

Okay - venting over. Just something that has been on my mind, and I thought some people here might be able to relate. :)

Comments (30)