SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Now I'm really feeling overwhelmed

mxk3 z5b_MI
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

First spring in the new house -- very exciting with lots to do! I know I can't do everything at once and have no grand illusions about that. As long as I get the front tidied up and add a few bushes (there is a grand total of one bush in the entire front of the house LOL!) I'll be ok with lack of nice landscaping for now, and of course I'll jazz up with a few annuals and flowers on the porch.

But, I'm under the time crunch for the veggie garden. I have wanted a big veggie garden for so many years and now I have acreage and full hot blazin' sun - woohoo! We picked out a spot for the garden in the horse pasture - there is a part that is already fenced off, all DH has to do is build a entrance gate and place poultry netting around the split-rail fence to keep the critters out. Not so bad, he can get that done, but the area is 2100 sq feet (I said I wanted BIG...LOL!). He has to rent a trencher to bury the netting to keep the critters from digging underneath, rent a tiller to till all that after he removes all the grass, which he has to do after he cleans up all the manure and repairs the split rail that is there. Well, to his credit, once he gets started on something he will finish it if it takes him all day every day he is free -- so he'll get it done. Also need to create an area for a mixed herb/flower garden in a neglected area next to the shed - DH will probably leave that to me, it's a small area (but perfect location for what I want to do).

But after then I come in with the creation of the layout and the planting. I have a big pile of seed packets on my kitchen counter that I have to get sown -- veggies, annuals, perennials, my head is kind of spinning thinking about it. Why did I buy so many seeds? I should have just bought veggie starts (I'm fussy about flowers, and I grow specific varieties that usually aren't available locally, so I would sow my own flowers regardless). Well, I suppose if I don't get it all done, I can always buy starts and save the seeds for next year. I'm going to work on seed starting schedule tonight or tomorrow.

What will make all this so much easier and enjoyable is my new light cart which I have wanted for, oh, 15 years or so. (Even better that I got it on sale on Cyber Monday in December)

Light cart

Comments (19)