SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I'm getting badly overwhelmed. :-(

alisande
18 years ago

You'd think after being on this home improvement mission for so long, I'd have gotten past feeling overwhelmed. But maybe it's because it's been going on for so long (since 2003). Or maybe it's because almost all the contractor's work is done, and the responsibility for getting everything else finished lies with me.

It isn't just clutter. Because of remodeling projects, including floor refinishing and buying new furniture, nothing is where it's supposed to be. I've been going through boxes and have eliminated lots of them. I've hauled bags and bags of stuff out of here--some to the trash, some to the Salvation Army. Two libraries have received boxes and boxes of my books. I painted the plaster wall and ceiling in the dining area. I painted one of the two bookshelves in the living room. I painted the clawfoot bathtub upstairs. The result of all this is that I have a couple of civilized corners I can point to. The rest is still a terrible mess.

I got rid of the living room furniture (a good thing!), but the new stuff hasn't been delivered because the room is filled with furniture for other rooms--and undone projects like removing mold from all the living room wood beams (eight of them, each 26 feet long). It's like a game of dominos where one job impacts another--or several more--and pretty soon everything feels like it's falling down, especially me.

For instance, there's a wooden bed in the living room that will go in the guest room when the old mattress and bed frame have been removed, but that won't happen until the new mattress has been delivered, and I don't want that to happen until I've restored some semblance of order to the guest rooma major task sine it's been serving as my catch-all room for a couple of years. Oy!

My husband died in October, and while that was a blessing in a way (he had been in a nursing home for two years), it was still a blow. My concentration hasn't been the same since. It's better than it was at first, but I'm still noticeably more ADD than I have been in years. I'm flitting from one thing to another in spite of my efforts to stay focused.

I'm tired. And I'm tired of being in crisis mode for so long. I long for boring routine like vacuuming and laundry and dusting. I really wonder if I'm ever going to accomplish my goal with this house, which is just to get it in decent enough shape to have people over, especially my kids for dinner. I quit my job (my last day is this Friday), and am taking the winter off, doing freelancing at home and hoping to accomplish a lot with the house. I sure could use some confidence though.

Whew! Is that enough? I really needed to vent. Thanks for listening!

Susan

Comments (20)