SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackcows_gw

Worst Pickle Makers in the State?

blackcows
12 years ago

For the last few years my kids have wanted to make some pickles to enter in the county fair, this year we gave it a try and didn't do so well. For those not familiar with 4H you get Purple, Blue, Red, and White ribbons. You have to do something terribly wrong to get a white...such as bring a jar that doesn't seal. Purple is excellent, Blue is Ok, Red needs some work. The kids entered 13 jars and got all Reds with the exception of one Blue. Since there was no Purples at the fair the Blue ribbon pickles got selected for State Fair and the pickles got a Red at State Fair therefore I have been kidding the kids and telling them we are the worst pickle makers in the state. Nothing is opened and tasted at the fair so it's all about looks.

Anyone have any suggestion on improving our chances for next year? A few things we need to work on; we need to get a slice rather than a knife so the pickles are more consistent. We need to use real dill instead of a bag mix so it looks better. I also think we need to be more consistent with head space, we tried to improvise and probably overfilled the jars in an attempt to keep things from moving and thinking that would help with making it look good. A few questions for the experts:

1. After the fair I disovered that there are "pickiling cucumbers" I didn't realize these existed and I'm not sure what kind we used....we bought them at a roadside stand. Ours had lots of seeds....will pickiling cucs be seedless?

2. How do we improve headspace...should we push the cucs tight and then measure or should we put them in loose?

3. Any suggestion on anything we can can that will look good? Like I said they just look and don't taste?

4. Any general suggestion on improving our chances of doing well at next years fair?

Mike

Comments (7)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County