SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lat61

Help me choose the least worst option

lat61
14 years ago

After lots of research, I am limited to some not-so-good options for cooktop and ventilation. We are in the process of remodeling our late 70s kitchen, which will not be a complete gut, but close. When we first moved into the house (and to Alaska) about 2 years ago, we laughed at the circa 1978 Jenn-Air electric downdraft cooktop with a grill and two burners.

Well, as it turns out, the joke was on us. We are addicted to the indoor grilling. We use it all the time, primarily for grilling fish, and occasionally for veg or red meat. Although we have an outdoor gas grill, between the mosquitos in the summer and the regular winter temps of 15 degrees or below, we never use it. Most of the time, I can get by with two burners, but do find that I need three burners going at times while the grill is in use (so swapping out the modular grill for burners doesn't help us).

So as we embarked on our kitchen model, I had one main cooking goal: a good gas cooktop with indoor grill. (We have gas heat, so it is not a big deal to switch to gas cooking.) That's when appliance hell began.

Because of our kitchen arrangement, we have to keep the downdraft. I know downdraft is widely disfavored, but the short summary is that we have technical and aesthetic reasons: we can't punch a hole in the ceiing for a vent due to bedroom location above the kitchen and a hot roof and the open nature of the kitchen and the wall of windows on which the cooktop will be located that we don't want to obstruct by a hood.

Although not recommended, I have found two 36" rangetops that have four burners and a grill that are physically compatible with a pop-up downdraft: Wolf and Kitchenaid. The other option is an updated modular Jenn-Air downdraft.

All of the appliance people I have spoken with have tried to steer me away from the rangetop/downdraft arrangement. There are lots of complications (and extra expenses) with the rangetop + pop up.

> Size of venting: We have old 70s ducting (some sort of ridged plastic expando ducting) that is probably 6-8" at best. The pop-up downdraft requires 10" and I don't know if that fits in our floor joists.

> Blower: Has to be inline because there is not clearance to put an external blower outside on the house due to the venthole being nearly level with our deck flooring. I think we can put an inline blower because we have garage underneath the kitchen. On the positive side, we can get a 800 or 1100 CFM inline blower.

> Cabinet depth: Would need a 28" deep non-standard cabinet to make room for the pop up behind the rangetop, which means special order for the full run of cabinets along the wall in which the rangetop is installed. $$$

> Safety/Effectiveness: Vague concerns here since it is not recommneded. I am less concerned about not being great with odors (remember what I have today), then melting down the downdraft or my windows. Perhaps I am just being paranoid.

> $$$$. The rangetop, downdraft and blower combined are considerably more than the good old Jenn-air, not counting the extra work to install.

With all these variables, I am getting leary of this option. I would hate to spend lots of money and special order cabinets only to find out it doesn't work when we try to put it all together (will also effect some other kitchen design elements, like size and placement of sink, to go from 36" cook surface to 30").

The gas downdraft Jenn-air has the obvious shortcomings of less effective ventilation (even less effective than the pop-up) and potentially pulling the flame to reduce cooking effectiveness. Plus I lose my dream of 4 burners. An electric Jenn-air might avoid the flame-pulling problem, but neither my husband nor I can stand to buy the exact same thing we already have. Considering what we have, we figure the gas cooking would be an improvement, at least with respect to the grilling. If I go with the Jenn-air, I will plan on purchasing a portable induction unit to give me an additional burner when needed (and also useful during remodel). The Jenn-air would obviously be less expensive than the other option.

Husband really wants the built-in grill capacity, and I have to agree that, even with a fairly nice gas cooktop, a George Foreman is not a real satisfying alternative for indoor grilling.

I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do! If you had to choose between these less-than-ideal scenarios (death is not an option), what would you do?

Comments (9)