SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtundermyfingers

Why doesn't my spaghetti sauce taste like Hunt's spaghetti sauce?

dirtundermyfingers
13 years ago

I know, I know because I made it good:) I was just tasting my sauce as it reduces and noted that it doesn't taste like the ones that I buy, and that's a good thing lol. Mine has tons of garlic, fresh oragano, tomatoes, peppers, onions, celery and that is about it (plus tomato paste and vinegar to make it safe to can. I looked at a can of Hunt's spaghetti sauce from my cupboard and see it contains ooooo Tomato puree, that isn't too bad until you read right after it tomato paste and water, SO no fresh tomatoes, on we go. Corn syrup not once but twice, dehydrated onions, carrot fiber (what is that, the stringy part of carrot), Spices (including soy sauce, what spice plant does that come from) and second after the tomato puree (paste and water) is water. I could just mix up some water and tomato puree, throw some soy sauce, a couple of glugs of corn syrup and call it spaghetti sauce, I THINK NOT.

My hubby may give me a hard time about canning, but seriously we all need to watch what we put in our mouths, let alone our kiddos:)

Stacie

Comments (25)