SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

My first pickles ever...(long post)

singcharlene
17 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and the whole idea of growing, preparing and canning my own food.

We put in a 1200 sq ft organic garden with raised beds for veggies/herbs, a strawberry patch and raspberries this past spring in an old house (new to us:)

My 9 yr old son and I have really found something we can do together and he is thriving on the growing, picking, and eating (some of it-still doesn't like some of the vegetables). He wakes up every day and runs to the garden first thing checking it several times a day.

Anyway, he LOVES pickles. So we planted a few cucumber bush pickles and made some pickles today. But, after reading many posts on canning I now know that I did not know what I was doing today and that I think we did open kettle canning.

I followed a recipe off the internet for refrigerated pickles that said they should stay good for two months in the fridge.

-I bought pint mason jars.

-We ran them through the dishwasher with the extra temperature boost setting on while we chopped and prepared our cucumbers and pickle ingredients.

-We brought to a low boil simmer: canning salt, sugar, vinegar, fresh dill, onion, garlic, alum, mustard seed.

-We packed the hot jars straight from the dishwasher with the cucumbers. But we did not use tongs or anything just used our hands.

-We ladled the hot vinegar solution into the jars over the cucumbers. BUT we ran out of the vinegar solution for the last two jars although there was enough of the onion and garlic chunks, so I quickly brought to a fast boil more vinegar, salt, sugar, alum, mustard seed, which took a few minutes and then I ladled that into the last two jars along with the remaining onion garlic chunks.

-We put the cap w/rubber seal and screwed the tops on tight from the dishwasher (also handling with our hands)

-Let them sit out for two hours to room temperature and then put in the fridge. ( I didn't hear any snap, crackle, pop from the jars but not supposed to since I didn't water bathe the sealed jars?)

Recipe said they'd be ready to eat within 24 hours, but would be best in one week, and stay good in the fridge for two months.

What do you canning experts think? We did five jars and I don't think we can eat that in two months. We're close with our neighbors and my son really wants to give them a jar as he promised them when we first planted the cucumbers. I could tell them to eat right away but I don't want to poison them!

Please any advice or comments welcome!

p.s. This house has four amazing mature grape vines (concord and a green grape variety?). I picked I don't know how many lbs. today but they filled up and overflowed both sides of my deep kitchen sinks. I want to make jelly in the next few days and will be devouring info on this site and going to buy a canning kit tomorrow and famous Ball book. Can you put grapes through a Juiceman juicer without heating for the juice part?

Thank you!

Charlene

Comments (8)