SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkeymamaof4

Is it too late, problems with beginner canners, need help now.

monkeymamaof4
14 years ago

Well my brother called last night and I was giving canning lessons over the phone. Unfortunately my other sister's FIL gave them canning advice and recipes, but they were all open kettle directions. They did Salsa last night using open kettle methods. I had them put them in the fridge and then heat the salsa to boiling and then pressure can the salsa. They also did some peaches open kettle method. I wasn't sure about the safety issues on this. Some they did last night and some last week. Can they refrigerate them and then re can them tomorrow using a boiling water bath, or is it too late to can them. The forementioned FIL also had them open kettle green beans, those I told them to just open and put them down the garbage disposal. I feel bad for them after all the work. They know that I have been canning for years, and at least they are willing to ask for advice and how to can, and actually follow my advice. My sister on the other hand will ask me for advice and then go ahead with open kettle canning, I just make sure to ask if anything they are serving is something that they have canned and refuse to eat them.

Stacie

Comments (8)