SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguy173

Pickle questions - will these be safe?

gardenguy173
13 years ago

Hello everybody! I'm brand new to gardening and canning. I've got a lot of cucumbers on my hands here, and I figured it would be fun to make pickles with them using grandma's recipe.

Her recipe for Dill pickles calls for 2C water, 1C vinegar, 2tbs sugar, 2tbs salt, and dill/garlic/onions/grape leaves.

The recipe says to bring the water/vinegar/salt/sugar to a boil, and then add the cucumbers in and stir them "until they dicolor a LITTLE". Then pack the cukes into jars that have the dill, etc. Bring the brine back to a boil and pour over cukes.

Now I'm wondering, is it just implied that you do a BWB for a few minutes to seal the jars? Or since you briefly cook the cucumbers in the boiling brine does that make it so you don't need to process them?

Also, I have read that years years ago vinegar was more acidic (and therefore more resistant to botulism), and due to that old recipes are not safe. I read that you want around a 50% water 50% vinegar ratio now, but my recipe says 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water.

Her bread and butter pickles recipe, on the other hand, doesn't even specify an amount of water (although it does say to "cover with cracked ice" at one point), and at the end mentions bringing them just to a boil before sealing. So that sounds pretty safe to me, since the cucumbers will be in almost 100% vinegar and will be boiled before sealing.

I already made a batch of dill pickles in the way I wrote above, and now that I'm reading online I'm worried they might not be safe. They've been sitting out on the counter for a few days. They did seal well (I think... I tried turning them upside down and the lid held), but should I just refrigerate and eat them asap?

Comments (6)