SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

Pickled beets, beans- without heat- safe??? Botulism?

10 years ago

I have been making dilly beans and pickled beets by just blanching the beans, boiling the beets- and pouring over hot seasoned water and vinegar mixture. I keep them in the fridge and then are eaten within a couple of weeks or months. I've always heard that you are supposed to heat process things or you could get sick. However this is the method my grandmother uses and I've never gotten sick with it. However she stores her 'cold processed' pickles in the pantry and doesn't refrigerate and that kind of scares me. I use mine up pretty fast so I'm not as worried.

However this year I have allot more beans, and I want to pickle them with the same method- but not sure how long they will keep in the fridge, or if I can keep them in the pantry. I think cold processed stuff cannot go in the pantry? How long will they keep in the fridge with this method?

Please don't tell me to invest in a canner and learn how to heat process! I don't have the money to do so, no matter how cheap- I only come across organic beans and beets etc every so often, and only make pickles a few times a year. my basic question here is, can I just pickle up all these beans by blanching, then hot vinegar/water/sugar/spices- and leave them in the fridge indefinately? I don't want to make my family sick.

Comments (17)