SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
never_give_up

Anyone ever had Mt. Olive Kosher Dill pickles?

never-give-up
15 years ago

My husband eats them by the gallon, so that is what I would like to make something close to first. Minus all the unhealthy stuff.

Ingredients: Cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, high fructose corn syrup, calcium chloride, 0.1% sodium benzoate (preservative), natural and artifical flavors, polsorbate 80, and fd&c yellow #5.

Boy that sound delicious doesn't it.

I found a recipe in the Ball Canning book that calls for sugar, but it's all the spices I am not sure of.

Dill Pickles

8 lbs 4-6 inch cucumbers, cut in half

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup canning salt

1 qt vinegar

1 qt water

3 T mixed pickling spices

Green or Dry dill (1 head per jar)

Kosher style variation: add 1 bay leaf, 1 clove garlic, 1 piece of hot red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seed to each jar.

I have looked at the recipes on here and can't figure out what would come close to the Mt. Olive ones without their secret recipe.

The recipes that are called sour dills on here I don't have any idea what they would taste like. The sour pickles my Mom used to make had enough pucker to make it seem like your lips and mouth were being sucked into the back of your head. If you add dill flavor to that do you have sour dill pickles? Or do the sour dills taste like the kosher dills you get at a regular super market.

Was hopeing someone might have tried Mt Olive and have any ideas.

Thank you for any help you could give me.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022