SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hettar7

Apple Mint Jelly Didn't Set... Why?

hettar7
16 years ago

My mint Jelly that I made last night is still liquid today. I thought I followed the recipie, so I'm not sure what went wrong unless as my grandmother said "It had to be the Boiling Water Bath, cause I've never processes my jelly" Here is the recipie:

Apple Mint Jelly

2 cups apple juice or cider (i used juice)

2 bags peppermint tea, or 1/2 cup fresh peppermint leaves. ( I used bags of spice indian spice tea instead of peppermint)

1 1/2 cups sugar

3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, strained (I used bottled lemon juice)

1/4 teaspoon butter or margarine (I used margarine)

1-3 drops all natural green food coloring, optional (I used durkee brand)

3 ounces liquid pectin

In a heavy saucepan, bring the apple juice and tea bags to a full boil, then let the tea steep for 10 minutes. If you use fresh mint, strain the liquid after cooking. Remove the tea bags and add the sugar, lemon juice, butter, and good coloring if using. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add the liquid pectin and return the mixture to a boil, timing it for exactly 1 minute and stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and ladle into clean jars, leaving 1/4 inch of head space. Cap and seal. Process in a boiling water bath canner for 5 minutes. Yeild 2 pints.

after the mixture came to a boil the first time i took it off the heat and covered the saucepan to let it steep. I stirred constantly and after adding the liquid pectin timed one minute exactly on my watch and continued to stir. The mixture didn't make enough for the liquid to come up to within 1/4 inch of the top, so the headspace is more like a little over an inch. I noticed the ladle and funnel i used to pour the liquid into the jars afterwards and it had a film on it like it was starting to gel. I made two batches of this back to back so the first was still hot while I bottled the second batch. I had already had the water for the hot water bath hot but not boiling, so I put the jars in the let it get up to a boil then timed it for 5 mintutes.

Anyone know what went wrong yet? Any help you all could give me would be appreciated as this was a super easy recipie to make and I'd love to experiment with different kinds of juices and tea flavorings, if only the jelly would set up properly.

Comments (10)