SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelovearth

How can I fix my jelly that didn't jell???

angelovearth
13 years ago

Boy am I glad I found you guys! I sure hope you all can help!

Ok, so I know what I did wrong. Here's the recipe I used:

4 tsp. unflavored gelatin

2 c. unsweetened apple juice

Artificial sweetener to equal 1 c. sugar

1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice

Wash and rinse 2 half-pint jars and lids. Cover with hot water. Bring to a boil; remove jars and lids and drain on towel.

To make jelly, soften gelatin in 1/2 cup of the apple juice. Bring remaining 1 1/2 cups juice to a boil; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin, stirring to dissolve. Add artificial sweetener, lemon juice and food coloring, as desired. Bring to a full rolling boil. Fill jars, leaving 1/8-inch head space at top. Place lids on jars and screw bands tight. Invert jars for one minute. Stand jars upright to cool. (If center of lid stays down, jars are properly sealed.) Refrigerate.

That last word is what threw me off. I didn't want to have to refrigerate it, so I processed the jars in the water canner for 15 minutes. I had a tad bit of jelly left over, so I poured that into a regular glass and left that out to cool. (didn't get processed) It's the only one that actually jelled. So the reason it didn't jell is because I exposed it to the boiling water for so long. (For jelly, my book said to process for 5 minutes but at my altitude, I'm supposed to do 10 minutes more)

The reason I used this recipe in the first place is because I previously made jelly with sugar but waited and waited and waited for the temp to reach 220*F. That jelly is VERY hard and difficult to smear. Well, it turns out, after some searching on the internet, that at my altitude (4500') I was only supposed to let it reach 112*F.

So, my question is, is there a way to still get that runny jelly to jell (well, it's basically juice) and is there a way to get the hard jelly to unjell so much?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH