SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sorellina

Mes Confitures Green Unripe Apple Jelly for Pectin

sorellina
14 years ago

Ciao all-

I got this book because I was excited about the author's unique combinations of ingredients and her use of ingredients I'd never seen in any preserving book.

That being said, her "technique", even for an experienced North American preserver, leaves a lot of important things out. She doesn't mention yield at all or the size of her jars. She says nothing of processing time, but instead advocates inverting jars which will weaken the seals, at least the 2-piece Ball/Bernardin closures we use.

This is what I did: I juiced 10 lbs of unripe Spy apples to make 3 batches of pectin. I let the juice sit overnight and decanted what I needed for each recipe. I let the jelly come to 221F on a candy thermometer which took considerably longer than her '5-10 minutes'. Once the jelly was at this temperature, the set took yet longer to achieve and was a weak set, not the firm set I'm used to, even with unripe apples containing a lot of pectin. Three batches of pectin were made on the same morning. The third batch foamed the least. I did not stir the juice that I measured out for each batch so the last batch contained the most solids. I processed the jelly for 10 minutes in a water bath because I was not convinced not processing would be appropriate or safe. The jelly had a tendency to clump before all jars were filled.

For those of you with lots of experience using this book and this method, what did I do wrong and what did I do right? I want to get the kinks out before I attempt to use this green apple pectin in one of her recipes with pears.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths