SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmuse_gw

Harvesting winter squash

dMuse
10 years ago

I grow kabocha winter squash yearly. I've had two nemeses:

1. powdery mildew that sets in in July and pretty much kills the plants, eventually.

2. squirrel(s) that attack the fruit. It/they can decimate the crop, destroying a squash-a-day when they get into it, unless the squash are hung high and inaccessible (I try to do this by trellising).

I have had some success controlling the mildew by spraying with a solution of baking soda but eventually the mildew wins out and the leaves become hard and brittle and I assume close to useless in photosynthesis. I've continued to water the plants daily, in any case, in the theory that the squashes will ripen better. I have many squash lieing on the ground, and a squirrel has attacked two of them in the last week or so. I've set out a trap (no success yet this year), plan to take the trapped critter ~6 miles into the hills (a park) and release it. Not sure it won't make its way back, I've heard stories that this is possible. For all I know, the squirrel that's eating my squash this year is the one I released in the park last year...

Well, one question I have is this: Since the plants, for the most part, seem unable or unwilling to produce new growth, at what point can I remove the kabochas from the vines? I understand that they will ripen more (I harvested the bulk of my crop on August 15 last year because a squirrel was attaching them, and although they looked great, a great many of them were not nearly mature and were a disappointment... not deep orange inside and not very sweet).

Is it being on the vine (even a seemingly almost dead vine) that matures them or is it just sitting around, perhaps being in the warm sun? When can I pick them, and if I do pick them before I'd like to (i.e. mid to late October, it does not freeze here), should I leave them outside in the sun (I have a patio table I could leave them on that a squirrel cannot access). Edit Sept. 10, 2013: This squirrel has several times managed to get up on my patio table and the last time did great damage to some of my bigger kabochas. I immediately took all the squash in from the table to the house interior, which has proved to be squirrel proof!

Thanks for any help here!

This post was edited by dMuse on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 16:21

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations