SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imatallun

Seeking advice for garden path compatible with big dog.

imatallun
15 years ago

I would be grateful to receive recommendations for materials for a foot path which receives quite a bit of traffic from two people and one big active much loved dog, Ruby. This picture is pretty embarrassing but I ran out of steam today!

My budget is about $500 for the project. The area is about 12' wide (including the established and just started narrow fence line bed) by 18' long. I love the look of pavers but don't feel I can accomplish the installation.

At the front entrance of the house, I have a short walk of slate with river rock around it. Ruby doesn't like walking on the river rock so opts to dodge in via mulched beds, kicking mulch into the rock. Meantime, people kick rock into the mulch, so about once a month or so I pick rock out of mulch, then mulch out of rock and reflect about why I ever removed the concrete walkway.

Likewise, due to Ruby, mulch is out as a filler. A friend suggested sand, but I would really like to cut down on the amount of sweeping I do in the back porch. Sod is out, a proven failure.

I'd love to replace that chain link gate. Any ideas? (There goes the budget!)

By the way, once I get this side done I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the other side. I'll appreciate any/all advice. Thanks!

P.S. When I was digging out there today, I think I found Sri Lanka Weevil larva. According to UF, "larvae are small, creamy white and legless". Do any good critters have that same description? (Hope not, but don't know.)

{{gwi:932315}}

Comments (22)