SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eaglesgarden

want new winter varieties in garden...seeking opinions/advice

eaglesgarden
13 years ago

I have a very small garden, but have had limited success with butternuts and some pumpkins on trellises and allowing them to run a bit in a secluded part of my little yard.

Anyway, I am looking to change my winter squash varieties, not that my butternut squash have been poor, but what fun is gardening if you don't try new things?! Anyway, I am considering either Blue Hubbard or Buttercup. I don't think I have enough space for both, but I would like to do a few plants of one of them. I like the idea of the huge Hubbards, but perhaps they are too big for a family of three.

I am looking for plants based on a few criteria:

1) Ease of growing & growing on a trellis. I will be away for a while in the summer, so I need plants that will be fairly self-sufficient.

2) Pest resistance. One of the great benefits of butternut is the SVB resistance. Do either of these squash offer that?

3) Taste of the flesh. I like to make soup from my butternuts, but I am looking to branch out in my preparations. I hear both are great, and I suspect better than butternut.

4) Ease of storage AFTER cutting it open. I guess this is mainly for the Hubbard, since the Buttercup would be small enough to use all at once.

5) Seeds... How are they for roasting? I love to roast the seeds and enjoy them as much, or more than the flesh... probably more, but don't tell my wife!

6) Miscellaneous. Any other things that you could offer on either plant (or even another option) would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to start this discussion now so that I have plenty of time to order the seeds I need, and move forward in the spring with a solid game plan.

Comments (6)

Sponsored