SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexilani

some confusion about Kraut

lexilani
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to make sauerkraut for the first time. I've read and reread every post on the board, including the links included within the posts. And some other links through google search. I think by problem is now I read too many different things and it got me a bit confused.

So I wanted to ask a few things just to be sure.

I'm pretty sure the way i'm going is to put the shredded cabbage into my quart canning jars because I don't think I have anything else I can use that is safe from what I've read.

The great big plastic tubs...that spackling comes in from the hardware stores ....they are a definate NO NO right?

Certain large cooking pots are also a NO NO right? I have a couple but really don't know "what they are" so they are out.

I have a crockpot and probably could use that...but then it's not very big and I have 4 heads weighing close to 30 pounds (I weighed the heads on my bathroom scale).

So seems like my best option is the quart jars.

Next question: I saw somewhere that canning salt will change the taste of the kraut and to use Kosher salt instead. I don't believe I read that here but on another site. I have both...can I use either salt? Is one better than the other?

And the water part... for using the jars...I definately don't add water to them right? If I crushed the cabbage down hard enough it will make it's own juice?

Don't make lids tight...but do I just put the band on the lid or screw it a time or two? My that sounds nasty...but you know what I mean.

At any point...once the cabbage is in the jar and the lid is on...do i open the jar and add more salt or anything during the next few weeks? I did see where someone said to shake the jar now and then to get air out.

In the jar...I realize the space is small...so is there no need to weigh the cabbage down?

And this method would give you less of the nasty stuff that you have to take off the top daily?

I think that's about all the things I wanted to be sure of. I'm sorry to bring up the kraut again...I saw all the posts and realize you guys must be sick of talking people through this topic.

Comments (17)