SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

German fermenting/kraut crock

mellyofthesouth
17 years ago

Mine was another of the disappearing posts. I can now endorse the Harsch crock that I used/am using to make sauerkraut. After 4 weeks it still tasted like salty cabbage. At the six week mark this weekend, it was up to cabbagey tasting sauerkraut. We are going to give it another week and taste again before processing.

The crock was really easy. You fill the little moat with water and then leave it alone. We opened it at 6 weeks it had teeny island floating on the top that I scooped out but other than that I just peeked at in on the way by to make sure there was still water in the moat. I did have to make brine we started because I couldn't get enough juice from the cabbage to cover the stone the 3 to 5 centimeters.

Carol, You really should try yours if you haven't already. I have the 10 liter size. Here is one site that sells them. They are a bit pricey. I paid about half price buying it here. If you click on one of the sizes, it shows the moat and tells how it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.canningpantry.com/sauerkraut-crocks.html

Comments (75)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!