SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladykitsu

Several Questions & other random stuff (kinda long)

ladykitsu
16 years ago

I had a bunch of questions about different things, but instead of making one post for each question, just decided to stick them all in one post...sorry it makes it long :)

So I've been combing the stores for the canning jars because they are going on sale now. I picked up some quart jars made by "Golden Harvest". I only got one box because I had never heard of them. Anyway, they look really "thin". Much thinner than the ball or kerr brand. So my question...has anyone used this brand, and have they run into problems?

Second question...So I got my Roma saucer about a week ago (good karma to EVERYONE who told me to get one - OMG...it's GREAT!). Anyway...ask I watched all the skins and seeds come out the end I wondered...Are the seeds still good? I didn't know if having them squished up against the strainer would damage them. If they don't damage them, it would sure be a much easier way of saving the seeds :)

Third question...So my NEWEST kitchen toy is a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. Wow. I'm in love. But to the point...Has anyone toyed around with the vacuum so it dosn't suck as tight? I noticed that if you press the button for vacuum and seal it will go about it's job...BUT if you press the button again it will cancel the vacuuming....I was thinking, that might be handy if you wanted to put something in a bag and get as much air out as possible without squishing it.

Oooh...one more question. So I *finally* got a copy of the Blue Book. On alot of the recipes it says to add lemon juice to each jar (rather than mixing it in). Does anyone know how much granular citric acid you'd use instead...or vinigar if I wanted to use that? (I was guessing that vinigar would be the same amount...but NO clue on the citric acid).

***That was all the questions - so you can stop reading if you want to :) ****

For folks that have hard times finding Citric Acid...I just Happened to come across it at the uber oriental market here. It was in the isle for indian food. So if you have a market that sells indian food, check there.

I made my first batch of tomato paste this weekend. After cooking it down for 5 hours, I decided my next kitchen toy is going to be a dehydrater. I REALLY like someone's idea of drying tomatos and using tomato "powder" in place of paste. The energy cost for making it is going to be a whole lot cheaper too ;)

To keep this from turning into a novel...I just wanted to say to however posted the spagetti sauce recipe that was really simple (that used drinking wine, preferably red + vinigar if you are canning)...Wanted to tell you that it was a HIT! I made it last week because it looked so fast. I only put a little vinigar in it and more wine since I would be freezing the leftovers. We only had white wine...it was still awsome though. It was a very light sauce and tasted great on cheese raviloi.

Okay...really...only last thing. I noticed that canning lids fit the "classico" brand pasta sauce jars. I don't know if I'd trust re-using them for pressure cooking, though they look sturdy enough (alot better than those golden harvest jars :D)...but for anyone needing jars, I'd think they could BWB without a problem - though I havn't tried it yet. Just a thought

Okay...off to work. SORRY that ended up being so long.

Comments (13)