SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karichelle

Where did my eggplants go wrong?

karichelle
13 years ago

Hi - I've been lurking a little bit on this site and have found a lot of information useful so I am hoping someone can help me figure out where my eggplants went wrong. :(

I have Black Beauty eggplants, purchased at Lowe's, planted in mid-May here in southern IN. When the fruits started forming, they never got a tender skin that had the feel of an eggplant in the store, and they were never really all that glossy, so I assumed they weren't ready yet. Plus, they were very small. So I waited for them to get bigger. Then two of them started to turn kind or orange, which I assume is ripening. I cut them off of the vine and cut them open, and the seeds are brown, but the flesh is green.

I'm not sure what's wrong -- why they are staying SOO small. The tag for my plants said to harvest them when they are 6-8" but they never got to that point.

Here are some photos on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2412014&id=7716254&l=036deeb78a The first photo has the two overripe fruits plus one that I hope is okay, with an unused bar of Ivory soap for scale. The second photo is the two overripe ones cut open. Is that what they look like, or are they in some weird state of immaturity on the inside and overmaturity on the outside? I've never grown eggplant before, so I don't know. I was just expecting them to get larger. :\

I've had flea beetles eating the leaves but have been using Sevin. I can only use it twice more though before I've reached the limit of 7 uses for the season.

Comment (1)