SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leelee_2008

What are you going plant in your Fall Garden?

leelee_2008
11 years ago

It's almost the end of July and this weekend I'll be starting tomato seeds for transplants into the fall garden for mid to late sept. I'll be starting the usuals early girl, super boy and trying homestead and floridade(?) as well as some tumblers for baskets.

Also plan on starting sweet and mild peppers... bananas, mild jalapeno, and bell peppers (hots ones are still going strong)

I will have room in my flats to start other plants but not sure what to try? any suggestions? I have summer and winter squash seeds, watermelon, canteloupe, cucumbers and all the usual veggie seeds in storage.

What are you starting now for your fall garden?

Comments (22)

• jenniferinfl
    11 years ago

This will be my first time planting anything, I've got the block for one 4'X8'X8" raised bed. I have a sweet potato started so far, but I'm hoping that I'll start working again and be able to afford to do a few beds.

My husband loves hot peppers, so I'm hoping to also plant some cayenne and anchos in addition to some sweet banana peppers and regular bell peppers.

I'm crazy about tomatoes, so I'm hoping to get some cherry or grapes planted.

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Up here in the Panhandle I recently started pumpkins (moschata types) and more tomatoes and cucumbers. I might seed more sunflowers soon, too. I recently bought some more pepper and eggplant transplants to supplement the ones I already have going. I still have watermelon, cantaloupe, long beans, green onions, herbs and okra going from the spring planting.

Frost will kill my tender crops will probably in late November. In September and October I will start planting small cold-hardy crops like lettuces and various cooking greens, carrots, beets and radishes where I have space. I'll also start seeds for big cool-weather plants like broccoli and cauliflower then. Those will go in the garden when the warm-weather crops stop producing. Oh, and of course I'll be planting garlic, onions and peas! (Peas fresh from the vine are amazing. I had no idea that peas are actually tasty until I grew my own.)

If I can figure out a space for them, I'd like to get some strawberry plants this fall, too.

There are a few more things I am considering trying to grow for the first time, like brussels sprouts, cabbage, parsnips, and celery. These will depend on whether I get more raised beds completed in time to plant them.

Hopefully this year I won't horribly over-plant lettuce like I have in the past. I like salads, but we can only eat so many! I plan to give more space to carrots for those winter soups and stews. I also learned this spring that roasted radishes are really good, so I want to grow a lot more of those as well.

• Related Discussions

What do you do in your fall/winter garden?

Q

Comments (5)
    I build things, and I am planting groundcovers, trees and shrubs so they don't totally fry trying to establish in summer. I am in San Jose, zone 15-also without rain but all winter long. I have been nursing my frost-hit citrus tree babies, and I am still harvesting raspberries from these crazy Italian bred ever-bearers! I built lovely wood cages to support these berries, five foot long rectangular boxes with cross members to support the canes, and stuck some finials on top of the uprights. Also filled out the under planting of alpine strawberries. I am making a grape arbor next weekend to span my driveway. I am installing solar powered light strings to give nighttime enjoyment- this garden is surrounding the kitchen door entry yard where all friends and neighbors sneak in to help us eat dinner, so I may as well make it pretty :) I am planting apple trees in a cordon along the driveway- opposite the berries- and considering chamomile and creeping thyme to carpet the ground- it's all wood chips from previous owner and I have to go slow as I want to install some stone pavers but only can afford two at a time . I am trying to make the garden areas look established and formal, my house turns 100 this year and is in a very visible urban neighborhood on a busy street so I can't have a tangle of dead tomatoes or blue tarp shade structure showing . My potager surrounds my driveway and side entrance and is very visible from the street. Hundreds of people walk by daily and I gotta show off! Anyhow, that's my winter, happy to read of others actions for more inspiration! Pea
    ...See More

Plants You Would Like to See at Our Fall Garden Gate Plant Swap

Q

Comments (124)
    I won't be able to come. We will be in Oregon that weekend. I was hoping we would be leaving the following Sun or Mon, then I could come, but we're leaving on the 12th.
    ...See More

Is your garden keeping you busy this Fall?

Q

Comments (9)
    My perennial beds are all cleaned up. I would like to plant some bulbs, but the yard is overrun with moles, voles and chipmunks. With all those hungry mouths running around underground, I know it would be a waste of time and money to plant them. DH did till up a 5' x 20' strip yesterday so it will be ready for me to plant in come spring. It will feature tall grasses to help hide the compost, mulch and spare topsoil piles at the back lot line. This new bed makes 19 areas that he will have to mow around and keep edged. My sweet DH, he is so willing to fill my every whim.
    ...See More

Hi Everyone! Do you have your fall garden started yet?

Q

Comments (4)
    Carol, I'm going to try some greens this fall, but I don't have enough sun for much else. I had a community garden bed, but I guess I wasn't working on cleaning and planting fast enough for them, and they kept bugging me about it, so I just gave it up. I don't have time for control freaks in my life jstropic Well, we're getting the rain now, at least here in Gainesville. Like every year, when the rain comes, I'm both happy and aggravated. We Florida gardeners are a strange lot. We pray for rain, then curse it. In the summer, we can't wait for fall and in winter, we can't wait for spring. But through it all, we get to garden year-around, so not so bad.
    ...See More
  • tomncath
    11 years ago

Most folks know my garden is only 600SF so things must be vertical. I started my sweet pepper seedlings 6/24, they'll get potted up tomorrow and go outside in filtered sunlight for a set 9/15. I'll start the tomato seeds indoors next Saturday for a set 9/15 and direct sow the cukes, pole beans and broccoli 9/1, or there abouts and save a few trellises for sugar snaps 10/1 and direct sow some icicle radishes then too. Course, my fingers will be crossed we don't get a nasty September hurricane season or most of it will be for nothing....

Tom

• leelee_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good everyone! You all seem to know your space and have planned well. thanks for sharing with me!

thanks Tom for helping me confirm that I'm sort of on timing for my zone :)

Jen good luck with your sweet potatoes, I had a 4x8 bed at my last house and i managed to plant some herbs among the vines in the same box. Grow your peppers in containers, might be cheaper than having to start a new bed.

L in Fla, sounds like you have lots of yard space, definitely try cabbage, I would do succession planting, having two heads ready at the same was more than enough for my family, next time, I'll do one every other week, unless you're using them for kraut or storing.

I started my peppers and the Homestead and Floridade tomatoes today, Aug 1st week I'll start another two variety of tomatoes and then two more during the week of August 15th.

I've been cleaning out my three raised beds from the spring gardening, had a good season of cabbage, broccoli and peppers this years, peppers as I mentioned are still going strong, first week of june we picked the last cabbage and head of broccoli before letting the side shoots go to seed.

I have three eggplants in various stages of maturity, one plant has already produced two eggplants, the other two well...they are growing, one flowers but hasn't set fruit and the other I haven't noticed blooms. I'm going to try to keep them going over winter if possible, just as long as they are producing.

I'm thinking I might toss in some okra seeds in the bed with the eggplants and see what happens, package says 60 days an I'm in zone 10 so I might still have a chance if no storms and mild winter.?.?.

squash, cucumbers, lettuce and others I'll direct sow in succession planting from mid sept on.

• denisemb
    11 years ago

First time fall planting, so I'm starting small. ;) I like cool weather crops (cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts), but don't want to get in over my head. Scored some cool breeze cucumber seeds and starting some Black Sea Man tomato (my husband saw photos & said "grow those!") and tumbling tom seeds.

For those that do lettuce, are there any varieties you recommend for a newbie & can those be grown in window boxes? I've never tried lettuce...prefer a romaine type if possible.

(L in FL, I've never tried roasting radishes - maybe I'll learn to like them after all!)

• mrs_tlc
    11 years ago

I have never started seeds indoors but am learning (always learning!!!) that you should start your seeds 3-4 weeks prior to the planting time on the IFAS schedule. So it seems I've always been a bit behind! Do I need to have grow lights or can I just put them in a south facing window? I haven't started Anything yet and am going out of town for a month. Won't be back until Sept. so I'd better get planting this week!

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Leelee, I don't have much space at all - not much more than Tom. I can't plant edibles in the front yard (subdivision restrictions) and only about a third of the backyard is available due to the swimming pool and the kids' play set. Also, most of my garden space has not been properly converted to garden area yet. For example, my melons are growing in bags of potting soil laid on the ground. I plan to add a couple of raised beds a year until I run out of room.

So, I only grow a few plants each of most crops. That means I usually only produce enough veggies to supplement some of our meals. Pickles, pesto, coriander, and dill seeds are all I expect to preserve from my spring and summer garden this year. Next year I hope to have more fruit and do better with the tomatoes, so hopefully I can make applesauce, jellies, tomato sauce, and salsa then.

If I get beds made in time, I'll try cabbage, but my existing raised bed and Earthbox space is pretty much reserved already - the kids want as much broccoli and cauliflower as possible, and what kind of mom would say no to THAT request, eh? The other crops are going to mostly be tucked into the space leftover between and around those plants.

Denise, I only learned about roasting radishes this spring. You can sautee them, too. I haven't tried it, but I bet you could use them just like any other root vegetable in soups, stews, pot roasts, etc. Cooking them takes away their "heat."

Lettuce would be great in a window box, as long as you can keep it watered. Lettuce doesn't need a very big or deep container. Honestly, as long as it is not too hot, just about any lettuce grows well. I prefer looseleaf lettuces, so I don't have a romaine variety to recommend. I think a lettuce mix would make a really pretty window box display, with all the different leaf colors, sizes and shapes. There are lots of mixes out there, but if you like mild lettuces (nothing bitter or hot), one good one I have used is Pinetree Garden Seeds' "Pinetree Lettuce Mix" (see the link). It's all leaf lettuces, though, not romaines.

Mrs tlc, I have never had any luck with growing seedlings in a window. They always got leggy. Maybe others have had better luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinetree Lettuce Mix

• denisemb
    11 years ago

mrs tlc: I may be wayyy off base here, but I started fall cuke & tomato seedlings outdoors in a shaded area and they seemed to be doing well. I assumed starting seeds indoors is in relation to the outside temps being too cold for germination in spring. (Experts - correct me if I'm doing something wrong! LOL)

Once they germinated, I slowly moved them into sunlight (between thunderstorms, of course; didn't want to drown my "babies"). Do you have someone to keep them misted/watered while you're gone for a month?

L in FL: I'll look into that lettuce mix. I'm still at the stage I get thrilled if anything grows ;) Bought some "Root Pouches" (similar to Smart Pots), but those are earmarked for the toms and cukes. Good ole Big Lots had some nice sized windowboxes that looked perfect for lettuce. And I do all containers, so I'm used to watering. Thanks for the link!

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Inside under grow lights initially because I work 50 hours a week, I'm not home to keep them from drowning or blowing away in a thunderstorm. Also, adjusting the lights to be right down on top of the plants keeps them short and stocky, keeps them from getting leggy.... Lots of folks grow them outside though, I know Silvia does.

Tom

• mrs_tlc
    11 years ago

Leelee - I'm going to be growing tomatoes, eggplant, sugar snap peas, zucchini, radishes, beets, lettuce, eggplant, cabbage. My broccoli didn't do well last year and I haven't been able to grow cucumbers without them getting sick, but I'll try them both again too!

L - I'm assuming they get leggy because they have to reach for the light?? In that case I should probably think about trying them outside.

Denise - yes, my husband will be home and actually I'll be in TN at our condo (trying to sell it) so I could start some up there and just bring the seedlings home in the car with me when I come back! That will also occupy my time while I'm missing my hubby!

Tom - I remember seeing last year that Sylvia starts them outside but thought I was too far south for that. Not sure I want to get into the grow lights unless I really have to.

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Yes, exactly. Seedlings get leggy because they are stretching for lack of light. A cheap shop light fixture with a grow bulb suspended just above the seedlings fixes the light problem, though. Blowing a fan over them or gently running your hand over them help convince them to grow stronger stems, too. Keeping them inside prevents heat stress, pest problems and keeps them from getting drowned in thunderstorms.

Having said that, I have some tomato seedlings I am raising outdoors...because I haven't figured out where to put seedling trays and a shop light in the house. I've gotta work something out before time to start the peppers and tomatoes next January, though. I'm not going to be stuck with "whatever transplants they have at the box store" again next spring.

• ibarbidahl
    11 years ago

I'm giving up and planting sod back into my tiny little 250 ft.

No? OK - no.

But, I'm finding it hard to get motivated at the moment to get going with my seedlings that desperately need transplanted. Once again my poor chitted tomato babies are waiting for me. Tonight I must force myself to stop and get planting medium.

Plans for tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, broccoli, ground cherries, tomatillos, eggplants, peas, spinach, zucchini... the usual suspects. (except the ground cherries are new- thanks Silvia!!!) Oh- Also trying runner beans for the first time this year. I've got Moonlight runners to try.

Barbie

• mrs_tlc
    11 years ago

Ground cherries??? I need to hear more about these please!!

• ibarbidahl
    11 years ago

They are like a gooseberry kind of I have heard... but having never experienced them I was on the lookout for some seed. I hate spending money on seeds to find out that I don't like something. So, I try to limit myself to only one new specimen each year. This year it was the moonlight runner beans for me - but Sylvia gifted me with the ground cherries. I have some starting now, so hopefully I'll have a few to try in the fall!

They are supposed to be great in a pie.... Wonder if I will have enough for a pie? LOL.

Barbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradewinds about the Ground Cherry

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Barbie

I am glad to know that the ground cherries sprouted for you, if not I will be getting some fresh seed in the near future. They are good just fresh when they turn an orange color, otherwise they are not tasty when greenish. They keep well after harvest if you keep it in the husk.

Well, for now my tomatoes are started outside...

Silvia

• auryn
    11 years ago

Hello all.
    I am in 10b and have started prepping the grassy area where I plan to put in my garden.

Its going to be 40x40' with a meditation area in the middle.

My question is, should I start my seedlings indoors now because of the heat, or wait a few weeks and start them outside??
    I don't have any south facing windows, only east and west.

For the fall garden I plan on planting tomatoes, sweet peppers, potatoes (they did well for me in the spring),carrots, garlic (going with a mix of creole species that are supposed to do well in my zone), cucumbers and squashes (which I have not had much luck with so far), broccoli (first time), yellow wax beans (first time), eggplant (1st time) raspberries and a variety of herbs and onions (including borage, chamomille and marshmellow).

This is only my second season having a vegetable garden and would love any and all suggestions.

Oh also pineapples,

• stpetegardener
    11 years ago

Hey Silvia, what do you have there covering your seedling box in your last picture? Is that fabric strong enough to protect your seedlings outside in case of a quick summer storm?

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi StPete

The fabric is an insect barrier that I buy in a big roll and cut to fit the bins. They are in the porch and don't get water like if they were outside unprotected. While I was gone a week, my daughter was keeping on eye and moving them indoors overnight when we usually have the storms. They all survived.:)

Silvia

• keiki
    11 years ago

I would like to try a new tomato or two other than my usual yellow pear, black cherry and roma so I am on the hunt for a new large tomato good for my homemade earth boxes. I have tried a few but the last couple years I didn't even try a big juicy tomato other than the large yellow who's name escapes me at the moment.

For the fall/winter season I will also grow beans, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, lettuce, carrots, and kohlrabi. My peppers and eggplants look pretty good so I am hoping to keep them going, usually they last a couple years.

Hi Mrs tlc! You have plenty of time, I usually start my seeds in late August early September on the screened lanai for an October planting. We are farther south than many people here and I have no luck setting plants out before October. I will be interested in hearing your results for starting them indoors.

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    11 years ago

Nice to see you back, Silvia.

I started a year and a half ago with a 4X4 bed, then two of them, then added a 3X6, and have just filled 2 4X8 beds.

My sweet peppers and an Ancho are up, as are my 8 tomatoes. They will transplant in a few weeks.

Next week green onions and beans go into the ground. My fall squashes are waiting for the sweet potatoes to come out. The ground is swelling in the bed, so that should be in a week or two. I will also start broccoli and onions next week. I've had celery in the seed starter for almost 2 weeks, but no show yet. I have heard that it takes a long time to germinate, so I'm still hoping.

I am using the seed starter contraptions from the box store that has a water wicking mat in it. It seems to work well. I have them under the overhand on the West side of the house, and in the screen room. They get about 2 hours of full sun each day (when its not raining). I may have to get a light for the mid-winter starts.

The plan is to start things like broccoli and cauliflower a couple of plants each week. I don't end up with a huge load one week and then nothing for months.

Larry

• whgille
    11 years ago

Thank you Larry. Your plan sounds good about getting a bigger garden and staggering the crops for a longer production. The onions are a little bit earlier? unless you are going to use them as transplants later.

I plant celery in buckets, sprinkle the seed and water, later on when the heat comes I move it to the shade. It last me for a very long time...

This is in February

Silvia

• mrs_tlc
    11 years ago

Hi there Keiki! Hope all is well and that your brother is doing better. Looking forward to Mounts with you and Tina and hoping others join us! Thanks for your input on starting seeds later than most. It takes the pressure off so I can wait until I get back to FL! I may start some herbs while I'm in TN but I think that's about it.

I did find a neat tool. I can't remember where I saw this but I want to say Facebook. It is an interactive garden planner that emails you reminders, etc. That is awesome for me since I'm always running with work. Here's a link to the garden planner I'm going to try. It has a free 30 day trial but I'm sure I'll probably sign up too!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Interactive online garden planner

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor