SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

What do you do in your fall/winter garden?

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

I'm in N california, just north of San Francisco in the "wine country". We have very mild winters with some light frosts mostly, but a few heavy frosts (not freezes)
We are still having 85* weather, but that's supposed to break this week, and will be dropping by about 10*. Still have a couple of tomatoes going as well as tomatillas. Herbs are going gang busters. Other things are slowing down or stopped.
I have 6 4x8ish beds and 2 3x3. I just bought 3 8'x40"x1' raised containers from my neighbors who moved, but they put some soil in that just burned everything up, so I'm having to start fresh with those.
So, this time of year I clean out all of the dead and dying veges. Anything that has thorns or looks diseased goes out in the far corner of the property (a little over an acre) to the never to be used compost heap!
This is the time of year I pay attention o my compost. I have a leaf vac that chomps up all of the neighbor's leaves (they love this!) and I bag it to use throughout the winter months. I also top any beds I won't be using with the chopped up leaves and compost. Then I cover with cardboard to keep the horsefield weeds down!
I do plant the 2 closest beds to my deck (don't like tromping out in the rain to pick dinner!) and have planted one of my raised up containers with some lettuces and smaller things.
I'm trying Brussel sprouts one more time (aphids LOVE them), I have a couple kinds of chard, beets, carrots radish, broccholi, garlic, onions and spinach.
I'm hope hope hoping fo a greenhouse this year to be able to do my starts on my own! Maybe Santa will come through! LOL Nancy

Comments (5)

Sponsored