SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berrybusy

Only 5 quart jars in a canner?

berrybusy
14 years ago

I am SO disgusted. I finally bought myself a pressure canner only to discover it only holds 5 quart jars.

I'm not new to pressure canning. I've helped my folks for years. It was just that almost everything I was canning could be canned with a BWB, or I could put my produce with the folks' and share the final results. That doesn't work now that I'm several hours away, so after making it through last year's canning wishing for one, I decided I needed one for sure this year.

I "thought" I did good research online. I knew what features I was looking for: large capacity (22 qt), a weighted gauge, price... I checked the local stores online and by telephone, finally found what I wanted. Went to the store, checked the box out, NOWHERE on the box did it say how many jars it holds, but hey 7 quarts is "normal" right? Bought it, brought it home, opened it up to check it all out. Thought it looked a little different, but hey it's a newer design than I'm used to right??? Got to the very end of the manual and in the "fine" print...

HOLDS 5 QUART JARS!!!

Why make a pressure canner that only holds 5 quart jars? Most of the canning recipes are designed to make 7 quarts. What am I supposed to do with the other 2 quarts? Wait around for it to get the pressure up, time it, let it decompress and then do it all over again for 2 quarts???

And this one didn't even come with a canning recipe book that had recipes designed to produce 5 quarts! Although it did proudly say you could pressure cook a whole turkey in it if you wanted.

So here's me, frustrated, upset, and looking for recommendations.

I did call and complain to the company. I don't WANT to keep it, but I really want a pressure canner. However, if this is what I can expect...

My Dad's favorite saying:

People who invent things (or in this case re-design things) should be forced to use them.

Apparently the research and development team never did any home canning.

Here is a link that might be useful: What Pressure Cooker Outlet has to say

Comments (20)