SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thefica

Brine Pickled Chilis in the Fridge

thefica
16 years ago

Hi,

I have started growing Chili peppers and have way more than I can eat and love snacking on shop bought pickled chilis so I thought I would have a go myself.

I found a recepie on the web but after searching this forum and reading some posts I think I might have made a mistake, mainly beacause I was confused at the difference between canning and pickling. Thanks to this forum I have it clear in my head now and am going to use the colarado state refrigerated pickles recepie in future but my question is, is the batch I made ok to eat?

I used a recepie that was 25% vinnegar and 75% water but with a lot of salt so it was a 12% salt solution. Therefore I guess it was a brine and the vinnegar was more for flavour. I put the chilis in a steralized jar, boiled my brine and simmered for 5 mins then poured over the chilis. I then put the jar in a boiling water bath (just boiling water in a saucepan with the lid on) for 10 mins. I left it to cool down for an hour and then put it in the fridge.

So my worry is that while the solution is salty enough, by putting it in to the fridge rather than leaving at room tempreture for a few days no lactic acid has been produced. However as they have been kept constantly in the fridge, surely this is too low a tempreture for botulism to deveop and to be honest I'm not bothered about listeria, I'm young and healthy!

After two weeks in the fridge I opened a couple of jars up and they smell fine, they smell lovely in fact.

Anyone have an opinion on whether they are safe or not?

Comments (6)