SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymd7

Pickling Hot Peppers - Brine Level in Jars

marymd7
8 years ago

Thanks to a bumper crop of cherry bomb peppers, I've made a couple of stabs at pickling them. I'm using pint jars and a brine recipe that calls for slightly more than 2:1 vinegar to water, pickling salt and honey. HWB 15 minutes. I'm following a recipe from "The Preservation Kitchen" but I double checked proportions and processing time with SETP. The first batch, I made no slits in the peppers. Lost lots of brine through the processing, so I combined jars and refrigerated. They're delicious, but in the fridge. I made another batch earlier this week. This time, I made slits in the peppers and really pushed them into the brine repeatedly, adding a bit more brine before lidding and processing. Significantly less brine loss, but two of the jars were down enough that I once again combined and refrigerated. I assume I'm "losing" most of the brine as it's absorbed into the hollow peppers - hence the level of brine in the jar drops. Other than not trying to pickle whole cherry bomb peppers, is there a secret or trick for avoiding this?

Comments (3)