SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim6918

Really Messed Up My Pickle Brine

jim6918
9 years ago

I have a recipe for spicy dill pickles that I have successfully canned for years. The recipe for the hot vinegar mixture poured over the pickles before hot processing is 1 gallon water, 1 quart white vinegar and I cup pickling salt. The spicy part comes from garlic, Serrano peppers, dried red chilies, onions and carrots, and of course fresh dill.

I don't know where my brain was at this year, but I actually canned about 20 quarts before I realized that I had switched the proportions of the water and vinegar; 1 gallon of vinegar and 1 quart water. Fortunately I made another 4 dozen quarts at the right recipe, but now wonder If I shouldn't just open and toss the "too vinegary" recipe. What a waste. I have seen suggestions where people have corrected such situations with pouring out the liquid upon opening and substituting a more dilute solution and keeping the jar in the refrigerator for a week or so. I just canned this past weekend so I have at least 6 weeks before I am brave enough to open a jar to taste test.

I often use the pickles and veggies chopped up in tuna and chicken salad, so they won't all go to waste, but jeez, 20 quarts????

Comments (5)