SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Recall

bcskye
12 years ago

WalMart has recalled all the GE model #169203, 14 cup food processors they've sold due to failure of locking systems causing lacerations plus the possibility of smoking and catching fire. Approximately 255,000 were sold. All you need to do is take it back to WalMart and they will give you a refund. I bought one last August to make Nathan's Never Fail Pie Crust for the county fair and was looking forward to using it at canning time this year. Well, I'm taking mine back tonight and going to find another one, hopefully one not made in China like this one was.

Comments (9)

• gardenman101
    12 years ago

bcskye,
    You wouldnt mind posting that recipe, would you? I kinda stink at pie crusts, and am tired of buying store bought. Ty

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up! Wish I could find my receipt :(

• bcskye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

John, you don't need a receipt. They were made in China to be sold only in the WalMart stores. I didn't have a receipt either so they gave me the $50.00 refund via a gift card instead of cash back.

Ty, here is the pie crust recipe which was from SharoncB:

NATHAN'S NEVER FAIL PASTRY
    These quantities make enough pastry for 3 double-crust pies or 3 1/2 dozen tart shells - muffin size.

5 cups flour
    1 teasp salt
    2 teasp baking powder
    1 lb (454 grams) Tenderflake lard
    2 teasp white vinegar
    1 egg - slightly beaten. Add water to vinegar and egg to make 1 cup
    1) Mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in lard until crumbly (using two knives.)
    2) Add liquid and mix gently with hands. (I use a fork to help me here.) Roll into a ball.
    3) Roll out amount needed on a floured board. Refrigerate or freeze remainder.

I use the food processor instead of by hand. I also chill a bit before rolling out. I rolled this out paper thin and it still didn't tear apart. You can roll out six circles for pies then freeze them and you'll have them whenever you need them.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

> I didn't have a receipt either so they gave me the $50.00 refund via a gift card instead of cash back.

bcskye,

I'm sooo thankful you posted! Got an "In-Store Credit" card for $53.86 this morning. I had the box and packing that it came in with another bunch of boxes that was going to burn this very week. Now to find a replacement. Went to local Sam's and they didn't have food processors of any brand. I don't want made in China anything to do with food.

john

• bcskye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardenman101, hope you enjoy the recipe. I can roll this pie crust paper thin yet it handles beautifully and gets thicker as it bakes. Such a good pie crust.

Johh, I'm really glad you got your's returned. I didn't want an item made in China, but I really wanted one quickly so I bought an Oster and hope that someone (hint, hint to DH) will buy me a Cuisinart for Christmas or my birthday. But the angain, the Oster might do well.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

bcskye,

I almost Amazoned a Cuisinart today before discovering it was made in China from one of the reviews. And good luck trying to find out where one is manufactured. Even the Cuisinart website is no help.

john

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart at Amazon

• bcskye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right, John. So many people won't buy "China" products so it makes you wonder if manufacturers or sellers are not posting where things are made on purpose. I've really been disappointed that even so much of the old trusted names in kitchen products and dining products are having them made in China. And I would never pay the prices marked for Quisinarts made there.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

Yesterday I drove to a large Macy's store in Kansas City. You would not believe how many makes and models of food processors they had on display! Half doz or more Cuisinart models alone. Asked the salesladies if any brands or models were made someplace other than China... nope! None they knew of. And my question was a common one.

So I ended up buying a Cuisinart that was on sale for $80 off the usual $150 price just to have something in case can't find something else. Model DLC-5BC. Only 7 cup (which is fine) & is a very heavy brushed chrome unit.

It will stay unopened in the box (for easy return) until the next time I need a food processor and that might be a month or two. Pints of salsa and pints of caramelized onion relish are what I plan for gifting this year so fingers crossed for a good crop of Cherokee Purple and Marianna's Peace tomatoes. My peppers & tomatoes all look good so far. Only trapped one possum & one coon the past week so critters might not be a huge problem this year.

john

• bcskye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds like you've got a good plan, John. We are in Tampa this week and I almost cried when I had to leave my garden a week ago last Monday. Hopefully we'll be leaving here in our new-to-us motorhome we just committed to by Sunday. I do have an elderly gentleman watching our place, though and I know he hasn't been able to resist taking care of everything in the garden. You may want to cover your pepper plants against birds. If they are hot peppers, the birds will eat them before you can get to them. Hot peppers aid their digestive systems.

I'm ready for canning. Missed out on the homegrown black eyed peas that a place just down from our campground was selling, but hope to pick up a bunch of Georgia peaches and pecans on the way back home. Love the peaches canned in a light syrup.