SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

The food of our childhood, what do you miss?

I grew up in the 50's and 60's, I will be 60 tomorrow. I'm surprised that I've made it this far.

My wife is on a low carb diet and I picked up some BBQ pork skins for her this morning, at her request.

It brought back a memory from when I was a child. The regular pork skins would come with a little packet of liquid that you poured over them. It was so good! A little hot and a little vinegary.

I Googled, trying to find a recipe for the sauce. I didn't find the recipe, but I did find a lot of, "poor people foods that we miss from our childhood".

That brought back some good memories!

We weren't "that" poor, both of my parents worked full time in the cotton mills. We had a small farm, 50 acres, so that helped as long as we got a good crop. If we had bad weather we had hard times.

With five hungry boys to feed they had to stretch the dollars!

We ate a lot of bologna, dried and home canned beans, other canned veggies, fish that we caught from the polluted river a mile from the house, and I remember many suppers that were just cornbread and onions in buttermilk! I still make cornbread and onions in buttermilk!

Mama and Daddy were both good cooks and they would come up with some tasty stuff from what ever they could find or buy cheap!

They never used recipes or wrote down what they used to make that great food. I sure wish they had!

Comments (26)