SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okwriter

What do you miss about your childhood?

okwriter
16 years ago

I miss having a big floor furnace in the middle of the house. I remember straddling it in the winter and letting the hot air rise up under my gown in the mornings, making me feel warm and cozy. Sometimes Mom would hang our wet mittens, coats, and shoes near the floor furnace to let them dry. They always felt so toasty when we put them on!

:-)

What do you miss from you childhood?

Comments (44)

• orie
    16 years ago

Oh wow.... I guess the innocence of not being aware of things.....

When we were sick, mom would cuddle with us and make her best comfort foods. I'm 46 and still remember those days. She's now 87 and living in Miami and I'm in NC. She's tto far away....

• dirt_yfingernails
    16 years ago

Making toast on the top of the woodstove in the winter. Picking up Grandma's daily quart of milk from the tin can on the fence post and getting the first glass of cold milk with ice crystals. Going to Grandma's on Saturdays to watch cartoons and eat fresh bread she made every Friday.

• Related Discussions

What do you miss about your garden?

Q

Comments (5)
    I can't think what I miss---unless it's birds in the garden. I miss spring and summer. I miss warmth. I miss having fresh food. I know what gives me a kick, though, about spring. Like Paul---baby leaves---shiny, soft, unblemished, satiny---especially the columbine. (Around September, I hate the columbine foliage.) I love being outdoors at night in the spring when it's warm, and loud with cricket/frog noises. I miss that.
    ...See More

The food of our childhood, what do you miss?

Q

Comments (26)
    I'm only 37 but miss my great grandmother's cooking the most. Every Sunday after church the whole clan would go to her tiny house and eat, everyone would bring something. It was heaven for a little kid who didn't love her mom's cooking. Fried apple pies made from her apples she grew, Greens, Poke, Turnip, and Mustard usually, Fried chicken, Chicken and Dumplings, Fried squash and okra, homemade Mac n cheese, chocolate pie, blackberry cobbler made with the berries from out behind her house, she grew a huge row of them and had a huge garden. I did not eat tomatoes then, but I would eat the cherry tomatoes she had with a bit of salt. My great aunt also would make us duck eggs fried in bacon grease getting the edges lacey like we liked and chocolate mayonaise cake. I have most of the recipes except the cobbler, making my mom look for it. My grandma made pretty good Purple Hull Peas and rice with a brown gravy. I cook very similar to this now, can't help it, it just tastes better to me. I don't really miss Kool aid or peanut butter and jelly, think I ate way too much of that and hotdogs as a kid at home.
    ...See More

tell us about a home you remember fondly from your childhood

Q

Comments (36)
    Mine was my childhood home until maybe 6th grade. It was a big house (well, I'm sure it seemed bigger than it actually was at that age!), the exterior was grey with white trim, black shutters and a red door, built atop a large hill with a retaining wall on one side, so high that the neighboring garage (2 story commercial building) had a roofline level with our yard. The stairs from the sidewalk was a chore, even in today's day and age, I couldn't imagine having to deal with that daily. There were huge oak trees in the back yard, it was a very private space, and we had a pool, my siblings would jump off the tree branches into the pool, I was too small at the time. I loved playing in the leaves in the fall, our back yard would be completely covered once all the leaves dropped. We had a large bathroom, the area with the sink was sunken, and on the elevation was the commode and bathtub, the walls and decor were black and white themed with ornate wallpaper. The kitchen was big, I'd love to have a kitchen that size, and there was a winding staircase going to the second floor, and on the landing was a window...looking out the window, given that we were on a hill, was a long way down. So, I remember as a child I always had this irrational fear that I would fall down the stairs and out the window from that landing. LOL. I loved that house, so many fond memories. Today, that house is no longer there, probably a liability due to it's location high up on a hill (all neighboring houses were at a lower grade) coupled with the maintenance that came with the retaining wall, but I just adore houses with similar color themes.
    ...See More

Do you have many items from your childhood?

Q

Comments (31)
    Maybee, wha a cool piece! I love eccentric art like that, I am glad you got it! I have the same situation with an aunt, my mom's mom babysat me for the first year of my life and fed me with my "daddy spoon" and when we would visit until I was about 10 I always got to use the spoon. It was one of those spoons that have a saint or something on the handle, I thought he looked like a daddy, hence the name. When Grandma moved out of the ginormous house her 10 kids decended on it like looters. My mom fought for the daddy spoon for me, but my greedy aunt said she got it first, it was hers. I still haven't gotten it back, my aunt now has Alzeheimers and her daughter and grand daughter who I am close with are so afraid of her to even ask or snoop around for it. So I am glad you won your "battle", and have just something else to remember her by. Lazypup, are you giving her the house, the chair, the dog or the child?? ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist! Linda in Iowa, isn't there someone who might know who the people are? Please don't throw them away, you may just find out one of the pics was someone famous you are related to! I would take steps when you can to visit relatives from your mom's side (if they are still alive)and show them the pics. Pekemom, I would fnd a good furniture restoration place, I am sure they can fix it up for you. Thistledew, any memories from before 20 I consider to be from your childhood. Does it still fit?
    ...See More
  • ronf_gw
    16 years ago

The diminished responsibilities!
    Ron

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

I remember sleeping with my mother when I was little and how warm she was and how she let me put my cold feet against her and my cold hands between her breasts.

I don't miss sleeping with her, but I miss her.

• alisande
    16 years ago

My parents! My cat!

Being able to run, play sports, whatever, with zero pain (amazing!).

The easy social interaction . . . all my friends and their parents in and out of our apartment, we in and out of theirs.

Playing cards with everyone.

Developing pictures with my dad in his darkroom.

Feeling safe.

• gazania_gw
    16 years ago

Oh, that furnace with the register in the floor right above it, brings back memories too. Ours was the only heat source in the house and was about 3 foot square. I would stand over it and get too hot, but couldn't seem to pull myself away for more than a few minutes. The dog we had when I was growing up, a short haired rat terrier, would lie right on that steel grating and whine because it was so hot, but he wouldn't move. There were times that the furnace got so hot that you could see the red glow on the top through the register, but still we stood there and baked. There were many small things that fell down through the register over the years. About once a year, Dad would open the little doors around outside area of the furnace housing in the basement and retrieve what he could reach. I am sure that there are still some long forgotten treasures to be found there.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I miss the milkman delivering dairy products to our door. I always woke up to that sound. We didn't have central heating in our very old house in MA where I grew up. I always rushed getting dressed in winter and would run down stairs to the kitchen where my mom was making a hot breakfast. It was so warm and toasty there and filled with wonderful smells and love. We would wish for a snow day so we could play outside in the snow building forts, snowmen and having snowball fights all day. We never stayed inside unless we were sick in bed.
    Clare

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I miss my close relationships with my siblings.

Christmas always makes me think of it. I always knew exactly what to get my brothers & sister, because I knew them SO well. And they knew me.

It's hard to have that as a grownup. We don't live in the same state (one of us isn't even on the continent anymore), and have our own families.

And i don't really know any of my friends they way I knew my siblings.

I know my kids, but they don't necessarily know me.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

My Brother, Cousins and myself would ride calves, horses and retired Circus Ponies at the ranch nearby. Then we would play in an old gravel pit we called the "little hills". We would swing on grapevines from hill to hill, playing Tarzan of the Jungle or WWII reinactments. Maybe a little Cowboys and Indians. Mostly a lot of hiding, "hootin" and "hollern". Coffee Cans made good drums.

We enjoyed "gigging" for frogs, catching butterflies and having a cow chip tossing contest.

We also, liked to use the picnic table for our stage, where we would each take turns doing our "talent". Singers, Dancers, Magicians, and Acrobats.

On bad weather days, we'd play "American Bandstand" in the garage and dance to the radio.

My cousins were more like brothers and sisters to me and it still remains that way. Nine of us were within 5 years of age apart, then their was a 8 year gap with 4 more "little ones", that we had to watch for our parents.

Other than getting poisen ivy, there weren't many bad days.

Gayle

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Just about everything! Freedom from responsibility and worry, school, long summer days that seemed to last forever. I could go on and on. I had a wonderful childhood even though I lost my mother to cancer when I was 12 years old. She was only 36 years old.
    ~Betsy

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

I had an un happy child hood,,,we were poor ,cold and hungry,,but we lived on a farm and I do miss playing in the woods and the hay loft.

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

I think that like alread said, I miss the innocence. I miss taking everything and everyone at face value, no hidden agendas.....I miss the unbridled fun of childhood.

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

Being thin and wrinkless......

I miss a lot of things...

I miss those long but extremely hot summer days...
    We had an enclosed porch and our entire family used to sleep out there when the summers were too hot to sleep inside.

We also had a floor furnace. Those of us who actually had a bedroom to sleep in , had to sleep under a ton of blankets to keep warm. I remember the mirrors being all foggy and and frosty in the bedrooms. Getting up in the morning and running out of that igloo to stand over the floor furnace and let that warm air go up under our robes.

I also remember knocking my cousin Keith down on it and it burned a grate pattern on his thigh. I got in trouble.

I miss my thirtys when my kids were little ....a lot. Those were good years.

And I know money isn't everything...but I sure miss back a couple of years ago when we still had some...lol....It was nice to be able to spend money just for the fun of it.

And I really miss being able to play softball....

patti

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

Almost no worries. Laying in the grass on a summer day, picking blades of grass, looking up at the clouds. Playing all day and half the night in the summer. Baseball games, swimming all summer long, friends.

• ashli
    16 years ago

My parents.
    The freedom of free speech.
    The land we used to run on and the swing in the old Oak tree that my Daddy made. If you gave children that opportuninity today...showed them the wide open space...and told them... Enjoy! wonder if they'd know what to do.(?) Imagination has been somewhat replaced by video games(?)...
    We had "real" wood fireplaces...My mother and I would sit on the floor at night with our toes close to the dying embers and read...She made quilts for all in the family...She'd put so many on top of us, it was difficult to turn over, ha..but we stayed warm! (and loved)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

We had a floor furnace that took up a rather large corner of the dining room, too. Mom always had a pie tin with different citrus peelings in it and just a bit of water setting on it. The most wonderful smells went all through the house.

Another thing I miss is coming home from school on a cold winter's day into the toasty warm house and hearing the old pressure cooker hissing and rocking. That usually meant homemade soup or something equally wonderful. It was just the most comforting sound to me.

And, silly as it sounds, I miss the smell of Mom's hands. They almost always smelled of garlic and I would hold them and inhale. It was almost like a kiss to me.

• evatx
    16 years ago

My twin and I grew up in a big family and there were always brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins around. I miss the hustle and bustle of such a family, especially around the holidays when the older women were always in the kitchen cooking such goodies with wonderful smells. Mother made a holiday out of an ordinary weekday - never had any money but none of us ever went without what we needed. My parents, 1 brother and 4 sisters are all gone now, and I miss my family and the closeness I don't have now.

• okwriter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all have sure brought back some memories for me!

DH and I were in a very old school recently that has since been converted into a small museum. We went in one room that was long and narrow. Both of the long walls had a board nailed to it with large hooks, and I told him "This used to be the cloak room!" He had no idea what I even meant - I guess his school didn't have one.

• softball_80
    16 years ago

Being able to stop at the library on the way home from school (I was a big reader back in the day) and not getting home until dinnertime without my parents thinking I had been kidnapped.

The smell of hot tar when some house in the neighborhood was getting a new roof. You hear all about the sounds of summer, but to me that was one of the SMELLS of summer!

No arguing over the TV - there were only 3 channels, 3, 6 & 10.

Bike riding all day long (see #1).

Believing in Santa Clause.

• teresa_j30
    16 years ago

I miss staying up all night w/my little brother waiting for Santa to come, long summer days hanging out at the b-ball court watching the boys w/my friends, Holidays at my grandma and grandpa's house, being excited about Frosty and Rudolph being on TV, NO RESPONSIBILITES, the first day of school......I think of at least one thing a day that I miss about my childhood.

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

I miss the people. A lot of friends and family have passed on. I miss the freedom of playing in the mud, making rockets with control panels from rocks and black walnuts. My kids lives are a lot more structured. I miss eating hicory nuts for breakfast. It's always been a family joke. I can't stand Malt O Meal so I'd go outside and eat hickory nuts to eat. My poor deprived kids don't even know what hickory nuts are.

• stephanie_in_ga
    16 years ago

My cousins and the fun we had at family gatherings. Eating icicles. Walking to the neigborhood store for candy- downtown smalltown, wooden floors and wood screen door on a spring. We could walk to a 24-hour pharmacy/convenience store chain from here... but somehow it's not the same. ;o) Road trips with my parents.

More generally, I miss feeling safe. We walked to that neighborhood store without an adult, just us kids ages 8-10 or so, with our hard-earned quarters. I would not feel safe letting my kids that age walk around town without me. I barely let them out of my sight.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

The easy going life and it's safety. Not having to lock your doors, and neighbors looking out for neighbors. Playing outside until dark, and not having to worry about weirdo's prowling the neighborhood.
    Rollerskating on the tennis courts, with skates that required a key. Saddle shoes worked the best with those, as the clamps held onto them so well.
    Leslie

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

I remember the floor heat register too and standing over it letting my flannel nightgown fill with warm air to keep warm. My parents still live in that house, and my mother does not have a clothes dryer, and still to this day dries clothes on those wooden folding racks over the heat register just like when I was a kid.

I do not miss my childhood at all, always being cold and always being hungry, and always being afraid.

• orie
    16 years ago

Oh wow.... I guess the innocence of not being aware of things.....

When we were sick, mom would cuddle with us and make her best comfort foods. I'm 46 and still remember those days. She's now 87 and living in Miami and I'm in NC. She's tto far away....

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I grew up in a very small town in N.Y. state,our house was right along side of Route 17,as this was before thruways .
    My dad was the ice man(no refrigerators back then)and he delivered to every one in our town as well as the surrounding towns.

I am # 10 of 12 kids,and there was never a dull moment in our house.We always had someone to play with and things to do.We used our imaginations for everything,no tv back then.The lone Ranger on the radio,and Amos "N"Andy,Ted Mack amateur hour etc was what we listened to.

We played out in the woods,took the evaporated milk cans when they were empty and crushed them in the middle and then pounded them to our shoes for space shoes.We also made mud cake .climbed up on big rocks to put them in the sun to bake and decorated them with ajax frosting and this green weed that when you pulled down on it the little bead of green would come off and we used them as sprinkles on our mud cakes.

Also remember going to Grandmas house every other Sunday.
    Playing with our cousins.
    Riding down the snow covered hills on shovels,pot lids,cardboard and anything else we could find rhat worked.

One of our aunts always made a checker board(chocolate and white)cake every time we came down and we'd have that for dessert with hot Hersheys cocoa.

Playing outdoor games in the summer,like mother may i,hide and seek,Red rover etc.

Swinging on the swingout tree (grapevine)

I could go on and on ,but we had wonderful times,like Caroline,we grew up poor,but we kids didn't even realize that til we got older.

One of the best things were that both sets of grandparents lived near by,moms parents ,next door,and dad's parents in the next town.Also had tons of cousins,near by,not like today with everyone scattered hither and you.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Memories!!!
    Kathi

• carol_in_california
    16 years ago

Walking home from school for lunch and being greeting with loving arms by my mom, who made the best tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.....I still can't eat tomato soup without a pat of butter in the middle. Also, coming home from school and having the house smell of chocolate chip cookies or chocolate cake or bread baking.
    I miss the freedom we had as kids....going to the park without supervision.....playing baseball in the vacant lot without interference of adults......solvind our own disagreements......building stilts or go carts or rubber guns.....playing in the mud.....being allowed to have a pocket knife at home....going to Grandma's house and playing in the yard and feeding the chickens.
    Thanks for bringing back some very happy memories!

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

My father and my horse.
    My father died suddenly when I was 12 years old and a week later my mother sold my beloved horse.

Donna

• trinitytx
    16 years ago

What a wonderful thread....
    I miss

Riding my bike with friends all day, from early a.m. until dinner time.
    Doing cartwheels in the grass
    Getting stung by honey bees on purpose
    Making prank phone calls to the neighbors and they would recognize my voice and tell me to knock it off.
    Getting my 25-50 cent allowance on Friday
    Sneaking a sip of my dads cold beer when I got it for him from the fridge.
    Playing kick the can.
    Listening in on the party phone line at home.
    Getting our first push button phone.
    Swimming at my cousins house.
    Making a path cutting though my neighbors yard everyday and nobody ever got mad
    collecting stamps with my dad

trin

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

Donna, that is so sad about your horse. I loved horses so much and got one when I was 11 and all the happy times growing up revolved around him. He broke his leg in an accident, and had to be put down two days before I got married.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

Thanks Marilyn,
    I had very happy memories before my dad died, mostly of him. He's been dead since 1967..... such a long time.
    Donna

• OklaMoni
    16 years ago

What wonderful memories you all share with us. Unfortunately mine aren't, and I am glad I am all grown up, and no longer living in my parents house.

We weren't exactly poor, but there was no money and lots and lots of yelling and fighting between my parents, and abuse with us kids.

I am glad, to be grown up.

Moni

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I have missed my mom for 53 years.

• patti43
    16 years ago

School summer vacation. Just the thought of having all day to roller skate, ride bikes, play ball, swim and read books was exhilarating. I loved waking up to the sound of lawn mowers and doves cooing and the warm breeze coming in the windows. Didn't have to wrestle us girls out of bed during the summer.

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

Swinging so high that you felt like you were going to fly out of the seat!

I had a rough childhood, and I don't miss too much about it, but I do miss the lack of responsibility. It would be nice to be able to turn over the reins to someone else now and know I would be taken care of.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

Gosh, I miss so much about my childhood I could write all night. :)

I miss the money tree, aka Daddy. ((Miss my dad something terrible. Died 3 1/2 years ago))

Sunday lunches when I always made my Dad tuna fish sandwiches. Really thought I was quite the cook!

Trixie Belden books.

Living in Panama and having summer year round.

Empanada's, ginups and Chinese plums... salty ones, not the sweet.

The Breaker's Club, the Yacht Club and swimming in the lagoon.

Migration of the land crabs.

The jungle, the mountains and the Carribean Ocean.

Watching ships pass through the locks from my back porch.

My horse Monte, and the Gatun Stables.

Church camp.

The skating rink and bowling alley.

Janet, Melanie, Denise and Jody.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

I feel like writing a book called "Childhood Memories from KTr's.

You guys are great!

Gayle

• Dash2
    16 years ago

Mostly, I miss my parents and grandparents. I miss the fact that my Father's family all lived in the same small town. We were all walking distance; aunts, uncles, cousins.

Holidays were a blast. Just the folks that lived in the area and we filled a house to overflowing. I miss those days a lot.

Now, my kids live scattered across the country. No one lives in the same area code. Holidays are a nightmare as to which kid you won't get to see.

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

I miss having my siblings around. We all shared a room-some of us 2 in a bunk bed. I miss us all sitting around the kitchen table at dinner time and my Dad making Sunday breakfast.

I miss going to my Grandparent's house and I miss their Scottish brogue. I miss my Grandpa showing off my Grandma's china cabinet and all that was in it to any new friend you brought to the house. I miss his dancing jigs around the dining room table and giving me grape Kool-Aid ice cubes wrappe in paper towel to suck on. I miss watching my Grandma M knit and embroider and her teaching me the stitches.

I miss the family weiner roasts at my Grandpa's farm and the wheel barrow rides and banding the pigeons. My Grandpa H raised and raced homing pigeons and won tropheys. I miss the money tree and bananas growing on the pear tree. I miss my Grandpa H. I even miss the outhouse. LOL

I miss playing with dolls. More than anything on this Earth I wanted to be a Mommy.

I miss the backyard ice rinks and being able to skate all day on weekends and all winter. We had lots of snow back then. I am afraid to skate now because I am afraid of falling and breaking something. LOL

I miss making tents out of blankets thrown across the clothesline and held down with rocks. My friends Mary Sue and Mary Jo and I would sleep outside in those tents on hot summer nights.

I miss going for drives with my Mom and Dad and stopping for ice cream.

I miss downtown Windsor when we had a nice downtown filled with stores instead of kiddie bars and strip joints. Stopping at Kresgies for a piece of cherry pie or pastries. Sitting on Santa's lap at Smith's and the smell of lavender from the lavender cart.

I miss going to Hudson's Department store in Detroit.

I miss my Grandma's pink aluminum Christmas tree. LOL

I miss the hustle and bustle of Christmas in this house and my Mom baking up a storm and the smell of the turkey cooking when I woke up in the morning.

I miss making leaf houses in the fall with all my friends. We would rake leaves into rooms and we called my friend Kathy Mabel. LOLOL I miss all of us neighbourhood kids getting together and playing hide-n-seek, or Red Rover or Mother May I or Stop and Go and playing baseball on the empty lot or playing tops with baseball cards. I miss the smell of the gum that was inside the baseball card packet.

I miss seeing my Grandma M and my Aunt Cissie walking up my street from the bus stop in their matching red shoes and carrying a big string tied box of donuts, Napoleans and Cream puffs from Kresgies downtown for us to eat.

Wow, this thread and the Christmas music I am listening to and decorating the treehas made me feel a little melancholy. Plus my sister Lizzie just called to chat and I haven't talked to her in a few weeks.

Anne

• sable_ca
    16 years ago

I miss my parents, especially my mother. I miss going every Saturday with one or both of them to the Chicago Loop for my piano lessons, and then out to lunch and to comb through book stores or Field's.

I miss going every summer by myself on the train to the Ohio farm of my parents' good friends. I played with the calves and dogs and cats, fed the chickens and collected eggs, drove the tractor with my Uncle Chris pitching hay into the wagon behind it, read in the barn's hayloft, and loved my Aunt Caddie's fried chicken and biscuits.

I miss going horseback riding with my father in the big parks outside Chicago. My mother would wait for us and then we'd have a picnic by a little lake or stream.

I was a tomboy and miss climbing trees, playing Cops & Robbers and Cowboys & Indians, miss my toy six-guns in their western holsters, and miss playing croquet and just lying in the grass with my friends and being silly.

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

Just the innocents and not worrying about anything....

• momcat2000
    16 years ago

My friends

• lyndy_pa
    16 years ago

I had a wonderfully happy childhood, so I miss alot of it. I miss the times, they were more carefree and there wasn't as much crime. I miss the honeysuckle in the back alley. I miss the friendships I had, the stick ball games, the Sunday trips to a lake in New Jersey (in summer) and we each brought a friend. I miss going out with my dad on Saturday's when he did his errands, sometimes we stopped at the local taproom and I played shuffleboard. I miss coming home from school for lunch and my mom had it all ready. I miss the milkman coming in the morning. I miss walking three blocks and being at "the Avenue" where all the stores were. I miss penny candy! I miss not having to lock our doors at night. I miss going to bed on Xmas Eve with not a decoration in sight and waking up with a decorated tree, a platform with trains running and way too many gifts. (And mom and dad looking so so tired). I miss the backyard swimming pool we had and all the kids in the neighborhood would come swim. It was a carefree, safe world. It was wonderful and my memories are great.

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

Everything!

Suzi