SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dhromeo

Any way in the world to preserve tomatoes OTHER than sauce?

dhromeo
11 years ago

I have a small love affair with BLT sandwiches.. I go to the trouble of baking bread at home just so I have the perfect summer sandwich. I miss the many uses of tomatoes during the winter months, almost to the point where I tried growing a plant indoors, and the lack of natural weather, humidity, and warmth finally killed my plant.

It seems, from every kind of canned tomato I have seen that you can either have canned paste, or canned mushy whole tomatoes. I want to try and find a way to preserve, at the very least, whole slices of tomatoes.

I was told that drying the slices would be my only option, should I can or freeze some of the juice to use in reconstituting the dried tomatoes? How do pickles retain their crunch when bathed in brine for months like that?

We're human beings, we put a man on the moon, and have built a station in space, but we can only have crappy, green picked, unripe, soulless excuses for tomatoes from the grocery store during the cold winter months? I think I refuse to accept that!

Cheers,

Chris

Comments (12)