SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekgrows

Preserving tomatoes from plants infected with late blight

ekgrows
14 years ago

Well - it got me. Got to my tomatoes both at work, and home. The season has been so cool that just as the tomatoes started ripening in quantity, the damn late blight shows up, followed by 3 solid days of rain - just to ensure it spread really fast. I could scream!

So - I read one post on this forum to not can tomatoes with blight, so guess I won't be canning this year. (Really? no salsa, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, green tomato relish, etc.??????) Would anyone dare can tomatoes from plants that have very little sign of blight (say spots on one or 2 leaves), and unblemished fruits, or is it just too risky?

I'm pretty sure someone said I can make sauce, and freeze it, so I will get on that while I still have fruits. What I can't seem to find is any information about dehydrating tomatoes from plants infected with blight. I would like to at least get some dried tomatoes packed away for winter! Does anybody know anything about this? Would the little moisture that remains in dried tomatoes be enough for more fungi to grow? I always keep my dried tomatoes in the fridge, but if I do attempt dehydrating them, should I keep them in the freezer?

BTW - late blight sure is amazing. At work, I have 2 high tunnels planted with tomatoes, and HAD 75 planted outside. After the 3 days of rain, I picked a few unblemished green tomatoes from the trashed outside plants, hoping to make fried green tomatoes. Well - 2 days later, they were covered with that shiny, blistery-looking rot! UGH! And wow does it move fast - it spread right into the high tunnels like wildfire. Having never experienced this before, I am quite stunned - and disgusted, disappointed, sad, mad.......

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations