SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

If you have a freeer, a great way to make fresh tomato sauce

anney
14 years ago

I now have about six gallons of frozen tomatoes in my freezer left and am making spaghetti sauce for tonight's dinner.

I've frozen tomatoes either whole or cut in two and then pureed them in our smoothie-maker during the winter to make sauce, skins, seeds, and cores, which give substance to the sauce and are unrecognizable in it. But dumb me, I had to cook it for hours so the juice would evaporate.

Someone on GW suggested baking your fresh tomatoes at low temps before freezing them, which makes the juice run out of the tomatoes, and then you don't spend hours cooking the sauce down to a desirable thickness. Furthermore, the tomatoes without the juice take up a lot less freezer-space.

Well, I discovered that when you thaw whole frozen tomatoes, the juice is released from them anyway, so I just put them in a colander over a large bowl and let them drain today. Microwave-thawing them would have made it go even quicker. Then I put the tomato flesh, seeds, skin, etc., into the blender along with oregano, an onion, lots of basil, and parsley, and it whipped up a really thick sauce in just a few seconds.

No more HOURS of cooking the tomatoes down! I am saving a couple of cups of the tomato juice to thin the sauce if needed, and I may cook the spaghetti in the remaining tomato juice.

So if you freeze your tomatoes, you don't have to include the thin tomato juice when you make sauce, whether you bake it out before freezing them or drain it as the tomatoes thaw.

Two gallons of whole tomatoes drained upon thawing resulted in about three pints of thick sauce. And a LOT of juice. It smells SO tomato-ey in the house now!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!