SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

how do you make your tomato sauce

michelelc
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is my first year attempting to make tomato sauce (pasta sauce). After advice on how to use my kitchenaid food strainer from folks on the site, and reading different posts, I decided to attempt my first batch. I am using San Marzano and Roma tomatoes. I decided to roast the tomatoes with olive oil, fresh basil, salt, pepper and whole garlic cloves, then process them through the food strainer. Well, while the tomatoes where in the oven, it occurred to me that the basil and garlic would probably get strained out during processing, duh! So, after cooking the tomatoes at 400 for 1 hours, I processed. The resulting sauce wasn't too thin, but thin enough that tomorrow I will cook it down some, But, I didn't think it tasted that good. It was on the bitter side, with not much flavor except tomato. So, any suggestions?? Any ideas for how to process my next batch?? I am planning on freezing the sauce rather than canning (I'm not ready for canning, nor do I have a canner, yet). I'd love to hear how people make their sauce. Also, any suggestions on how to make a chunky sauce??

Michele

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living