SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardendawgie

Shocking Best way to preserve food

gardendawgie
13 years ago

I find it shocking that we are not using the best way to preserve food more often. High Pressure canning and BWB canning are not the best way to preserve food according to the scientists who study this.

Natural fermentation of food is the safest way to preserve food. Not vinegar pickles but fermentation pickles and all kinds of food.

http://www.seattlepi.com/food/407041_ferment0609.html

So, is fermentation really safe?

Leaving foods unrefrigerated for two weeks or more can be disturbing to those who weren't raised with a crock of pickles in the hallway. But U.S. Department of Agriculture research service microbiologist Fred Breidt says properly fermented vegetables are actually safer than raw vegetables, which might have been exposed to pathogens like E. coli on the farm.

"With fermented products there is no safety concern. I can flat-out say that. The reason is the lactic acid bacteria that carry out the fermentation are the world's best killers of other bacteria," says Breidt, who works at a lab at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, where scientists have been studying fermented and other pickled foods since the 1930s.

Breidt adds that fermented vegetables, for which there are no documented cases of food-borne illness, are safer for novices to make than canned vegetables. Pressurized canning creates an anaerobic environment that increases the risk of deadly botulism, particularly with low-acid foods.

There is much more in the article

I find it shocking that there is not more discussion of fermenting veggies on this site. We seem to ignore it. We seem to push the less healthy and less safe methods of vinegar flavoring pickles instead of fermenting them.

The eating of the live microbes that ferment veggies is super healthy. Vinegar flavored veggies do not have the live microbes that are important to our health.

Is it any wonder that Americans have so much trouble with cancer when we do not eat properly and we do not process our food in the best way.

Comments (4)