SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisa_z5

Why the stinky smell on frozen tomatoes?

elisa_z5
10 years ago

I'm hoping someone might have an answer for me.
I've been freezing tomatoes whole for years, and when I go to use them, they always have a smell that reminds me of decay. When I cook them for a while, the smell goes away, they taste great, and they digest with no problems. Maybe it's just me -- does anyone else get a stinky smell from frozen tomatoes? and is there a way to avoid it?

Here is what I've tried so far to stop the smell (no luck): blanching before freezing. blanching and peeling before freezing. Rinsing in vinegar solution and thoroughly drying before freezing. Using those sucky bag things that take all the air out of the freezer bag.

I'm using a brand new chest freezer that keeps everything else fresh for a year or more (temps are correct as far as I know.) Also, I've used other freezers (the one upstairs, and at another house) with the same stinky tomato results!

The biggest disadvantage is that they must be cooked for a while to get rid of the smell. But also, I feel like I must be doing something wrong for them to have this smell.

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas, guesses, advice.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz