SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

My soil is stinky ~

weed30 St. Louis
14 years ago

I made a new flower and herb bed this year, by scalping the grass, topping with shredded leaves and newspaper, and topping with pine mulch. I've done this several times in the past with no problems. The upper part of the soil is ok, but turns to pretty much solid clay about 6 - 10" down, depending on where I dig. Tonight I was putting in some more plants, and when I dug a hole, the soil smelled bad. Not overwhelming, but I think it smells like sewage. (not poop type sewage, just that funky sort of rotten smell.)

We have had a LOT of rain. Do you think it is because the ground is so saturated, and the clay won't let the water percolate down, so it's down there fermenting? Do I need to worry about it? So far, the things planted there seem fine. (although I wonder if my herbs are drinking up some nasty stuff and if I should be concerned at all.) We are due for a week of hot weather (upper 90's) with little or no rain. Should I not water at all to help the soil dry out? It is just so weird - I've never run into this before.

Comments (6)