SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcrean1_gw

The frozen plant body count

17 years ago

I saw a lot of folks in zone 7 posting about the freezing temps and impending frost damage. I looked and thought, " . . . what the hey, I'm in zone 8 and am probably safer." I took a few precautions and indeed Friday night was not bad.

Last night was a different thing. I looked aorund after church today and nearly every lawn has that dark green "my grass will soon be mush" look. Centipede and bermuda alike took a hit as they were greening up so nice and lush.

The butterfly bushes and azaleas were hit hard and are drooping with that post frozen look. Mums and hydrangeas are mush already. Some rose damage, and the ligustrum blooms ( the fragerant ones that smell SO good) are all brown.

In the veggie garden, the tall potato vines are now flattened in small mush heaps atop the mulch. The tomatoes I shielded with boxes and buckets did not make it either. Half the beets and half the sweet peas are now mush mounds, too. Basil and the early sage are victims as well.

Fortunately I have flats of veggies in the greenhouse that were unaffected, so I can set out more. Other things I'll just miss the early bloom on. Gotta love mother nature . . . .

How does your post freeze garden grow?

Comments (39)

• 17 years ago

For me, it seemed to depend on how far along the leaves were. If the leaves had had a chance to harden off, they made it. But many tender new shoots are now pointing to the ground. Some azaleas, trees (even side by side with ones that are ok) and a few fern fronds (but most made it). One paw paw was covered with blooms, not sure if they'll make it. And that would mean no fruit!

I know the leaves will come back, but I'll sure miss all those blooms that turned to mush. I can't help but be glad to hear some ligustrum blooms bit the dust. That means fewer seeds to be spread. I noticed the Tree of Heaven's foliage was all too tender - it looks like wet dishrags now.

For gardener, this certainly is a sad day. And it's not over yet. We still have tonight to get through.

• 17 years ago

the species hydrangea are toast although the oakleafs look okay. The hosta looked like goo yesterday but some show some hope today. Damage to the newest growth on the roses- as much as 6" on some shoots. The azalea blossoms appear to be dead but the leaves look pretty good. Only plants in the garden right now are parsley- looks so-so- and asparagus- mostly okay. Think goodness I didnt put in the tomatoes last weekend!
    jg

• Related Discussions

Idyll #512: 33 and counting....

Q

Comments (104)
    Woody, we had some earlier cold nights that surprised me how well most of the plants in the garden did. I'm sure if there is a way you can cover it with a sheet or something you would. Although if I remember right, your Wisterias are large.... I feel for you, you wait all year for bloom. Fingers crossed! I hope this is a fluke of a year and that we aren't going to get this kind of inconsistency every year. You are lucky to have a garage that will act like a root cellar! And with windows. Ours is a stand alone unheated garage with one small north window and nothing has ever wintered over in there for me. Just as well, keeps me from branching out into 'wintering over'. (g) The quack grass is the worst problem in the garden for us. It took over my first vegetable garden, and I was pretty inexperienced and I tried to use a rototiller on the bed. What a mistake that was. It just quadrupled the grass in a 25 x 25 ft area. It was so bad, I abandoned that part of the yard for a few years. When I was ready to try to deal with it again, I did some research and came up with an idea of smothering it, instead of trying to dig it out. So I had a large roll of plastic left over from an ice rink we had for the kids when they were younger and I laid that down and anchored it with rocks over the whole 25ft area and beyond. I left it there for a whole year. It killed just about all the quack grass and I was able to reclaim that whole area. Part of it was under the dripline of a large Maple and that area did come back a little and now I have to get it out of there again, but it's about a 6ft area which is manageable. I think it died better in the full sun areas. It was a dry hot summer that year and I didn't put holes in the plastic, so it really baked it. I was SO happy to get that part of the garden back! Thanks for the link, it was very interesting. No, our son's dog is just a plain old mutt of a Lab mix. She was a rescue. She is a black lab with some white socks and some white on her chest. So she is pretty short haired and her shedding is not too bad. She rarely barks, even when other dogs are barking at our fence line, she goes over and wags her tail but then ignores them. Doesn't seem to mind the loud chain saw in the yard next door today. Doesn't dig. Follows me around. Doesn't mind baths or hair dryers. I guess that is the Lab personality, but we've had some that were a lot more 'hyper' than she is, so I wonder what her other mix is. We've never had a Golden, and the shedding was the only reason. I've always loved them.
    ...See More

Container Count / Zone Wars 2011-2012 ~ Official Count (3)

Q

Comments (150)
    And she makes an appearance for the first time this year! I planted five jugs today, for a grand total of--FIVE. lol! Last year I had over a hundred by now, this year I'm only doing my daylily seeds and just a few others I didn't get to last year. So, I have five for zone 6. karen
    ...See More

Does this count?

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes it counts...usually I have pansies in March, too. But this year, who knows when it will be. DH shoveled a path to the greenhouse for me yesterday. Not all the way to the ground, but it was definitely walkable. This morning I went down there and fell through the snow up past my knees. The snow is melting fast, but it has a long ways to go!
    ...See More

And the body count rises:(

Q

Comments (7)
    One lesson I've learned from last year is not to plant small plants alone in separate pots. For one thing, the pots tend to get hotter and dry out quicker, and if I'm not careful some little guy is going to get skipped by the water wagon. In case no one knows who reads this, I am a container grower of hosta (3 in the ground out of 325). Early last year, my first to really become addicted to hosta, I planted the small guys in individual pots. As the year went by, I started clustering them in wider bowls. And for the small guys I tried an "olla" or self watering jug that allows water to slowly seep through the porous sides. Some of the bowls had problems with the squirrels digging in the soil, planting pecans, but the real loss began before winter started, just withering away in the small pots. The larger hosta are for the most part coming back in good shape. Even with squirrels digging them out, they are not a total loss. After I finish my taxes tomorrow, I'll have a chance to deal with a real body count....and feel most will be the small and dwarfs. Like the only one I know is gone, is Tot Tot.
    ...See More
  • 17 years ago

I was out Thursday night after I got back from work for 4 1/2 hours covering plants in the dark lol. Didn't get in til' 12:15 am. The neighbors thought I was crazy but what I was doing paid off and I will probably do so again next year if this occurs.

My plants/beds are widely scattered and I didn't have nearly enough blankets & plastic to go around. I do however have access to a shavings pit from the mill on the family property. So I used all the 2 quart to 5 gallon plastic pots or buckets I could find, doubled them up so that each plant I wanted to protect had two of these as protection over top of it and then filled it with shavings before inverting it over top of the plant. The shavings are light enough that there was virtually no limb breakage during the process. Everything that went under these insulated buckets looks unphased today, including the tender tomatoes & basil plants I had already planted over a week ago. I just wish I could have used a similar method for my taller shrubs & Irisis.

One good thing about shavings is that they not only regulated the cold temperatures but the warm heat of the day temps as well. The buckets have been on since Thursday night because it would be far too much work to remove them all every morning. I do spot checks during the afternoon and every plant I've checked remains cool under the pots. Of course this wouldn't be good long-term and they'll be needing some sunlight soon. Thank goodness this has only lasted a few days.

Squirrellypete

• 17 years ago

I did the same with some pine straw and overturned buckets and plastic pots. It helped with the smaller items.

Luckily the sun was out in full force today and it's up to 51 now. Supposed to get down to 32 tonight, but after last night, that's not so bad.

• 17 years ago

laxfan, what do you mean by the species hydrangea are toast? Are you talking about the big leaf hydrangea that have big blue or pink flowers? That's hydrangea macrophylla. Oakleaf is hydrangea quercifolia, which is a different species from the other. My oakleaf hydrangea did surprisingly well also. My hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle' also did well, but it has had it's leaves for a while and as I said, I think the age of the leaves was key for my yard.

Of course now that I say that, both will get zapped tonight!!

• 17 years ago

My azaleas are toast.
    My ES hydrangeas are ready for the waste bin
    My Oakleaf hydrangeas are a-ok.

Next time someone says to plant from southern stock I'll remember this and do the opposite,

• 17 years ago

The overall damage was not as bad as I'd expected this morning. Some nice surprises that survived well:
    - oakleaf hydrangea and just-starting flower buds
    - tender new purple leaves on forest pansy redbud
    - new leaves on coral bark maple
    - nova zembla rhododendron
    - star jasmine
    Not doing as well:
    - crimson queen japanese maple
    - hydrangea macrophylla
    - sedum
    Not sure:
    - young (about 10 year) gingko, who's new leaves look really droop, but I figure they've lasted a long, long time as a species. Maybe it'll be ok.
    Tonight's lows in Atlanta are still going to be about 34°F... let's keep our fingers crossed.

• 17 years ago

My hydrangeas looks ragid. I've lost my hibiscus (in full bloom last week). Hostas, cannas, angel trumpet, and elephant ears are all black.
    The worst of it is my amaryllis...it had it's first bloom, just days from opening and now it's fallen over.
    I covered everything with sheets and garbage bags, but it didn't seem to help. (When my husband was removing the coverings this morning, he said that he saw frost on the leaves.)

• 17 years ago

I conducted another close order inspection at dusk. Echoing what others have said here almost all the tender new stuff regardless of the plant, shrub, or tree is bowing groundward. I noted this evening the Achillea are turning to mush, too. A bit of a latent effect I'm sure I'll see more of.

I can't tell yet the effect on the young peach fruit. Pears and apples look fine.

• 17 years ago

My oak leaf was OK too, I guess they are different. I have another hydrangea that I ordered on line, called Europa. It ha s a fantastic violet color, it came through ok, some leaves are damaged, but not all.

The other two Nikkos that I got at Lowes are the ones that got fried. My Annable, that I just planted last year, and wasn't sure that it was coming back at all, did ok, as far as I can tell. But it was closer to the house, as was Europa. I think that is key.

• 17 years ago

Damaged plants list:
    Vitex (all new leaves are black)
    Hydrangea (all new leaves and buds on tips are toast)
    Fatsia japonica(all new growth is black)
    Mexican Petunias (about 1/2 dead)
    Crimson Queen Jap maple (all leaves are toast)
    Clematis (tips not covered are fried)
    Water Lillies (all leaves have sunk)

• 17 years ago

All of my hydrangeas are droopy. Does that mean no blooms this year?
    Most of hostas are OK, except for Guacamole, my favorite!
    Impatients and coleus are done. Elephant ears, cannas are a black mush. New tender foliage on camellias, gardenias are history. Miraculously basil survived. I thought it would be hit first. My beloved foxgloves are really droopy and sad. Will it help to water the plants today? Hopefully the unexpected frost is done for this season. Nature is a trickster! Who could think after temps being in 80s it would drop suddenly to 20s? Well, I've learned my lesson for sure. No more planting annuals till at least mid-April.
    May they rest in peace...

• 17 years ago

So far I've noticed that I've lost (I'm sure it will come back eventually) the following:

alstromeria
    some varieties of hosta
    chionathus virginicus (Fringe tree)
    Lillies
    Butterfly bush
    Blue Bird Rose of Sharon
    new growth on the azaleas is brown
    Tulip tree new growth doesn't look too good either.
    The caladiums that the sheet blew off of are dead. those that remained covered are fine.

We'll see if the list grows longer as the day goes on.

• 17 years ago

I think I did ok, but my salvias look rough, garanitica (black & blue)and elegans (pinneapple sage). I hope they come back.

• 17 years ago

I covered some things Friday night with plastic sheets and noticed they looked worse than the things I didn't cover. I covered only the most tender stuff on Saturday night. Didn't cover anything Sunday night, but watered the heck out of everything with the overhead sprinkler instead.

Looking mushy:
    new hostas - old ones look okay
    new growth of certain roses, others look okay
    warm-season annuals (thank goodness I didn't get too many)
    dahlias that overwintered in the ground
    butterfly bush
    rose-of--sharon (althea)
    oriental lilies look droopy but may recover

Surprisingly, petunias, gladiolas that overwintered in the ground, and salvia guarantica look like they made it!

• 17 years ago

New growth on vitex which was a beautiful lime green is now all black.
    My Endless summer hydrangea that was planted in the fall has some damage on the tips.
    All my oakleafs are just fine.
    My azeleas that are well established are fine, the flowers even still look good.
    Do you just prune the frost damage off?

• 17 years ago

natalie4b, we have similar tastes! I'm a huge fan of the Guacamole hosta...although I don't have any, but I've found a shady spot and plan to order some from Plant Delights in a few weeks.
    Also, I love foxgloves! Whenever I go to a nursery, my husband can always count on me purchasing one. In fact, I have several seedlings (growing inside) from last years' blooms.

• 17 years ago

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but wanted to post this note for efam. Auburn, GA has a wonderful hosta nursery called Pixie Forest (google them). They have beautiful Guacamole hostas for way way way less than Plant Delights. They have all kinds of beautiful hostas, but I know for sure they have Guacamole because that's where I got mine - which seems to have survived this weather - I guess because it's so close to the house.
    After reading other people's posts, I took a closer look at my vitex. Toast!! Same black leaves everyone else is talking about. Will it get more leaves for the summer? Anyone know?

• 17 years ago

Not to change the subject again but I was at Bloomin designs and they also had Guacamole 3 for $20.00 I think

• 17 years ago

All trees and shrubs should recover and put out new leaves or fresh growth (if it just got the tips) if those trees and shrubs are normally hardy to this area. Most will not bloom again if they are the type that bloom on buds formed last year. If they bloom on new wood, you might get some.

Hardy herbaceous perennials (like hostas and ferns) should resprout from the ground, ferns will put out new fronds, etc.

I noticed that the dogwoods (Cornus florida) seemed to have fared very well overall, I have not seen a casualty yet.

• 17 years ago

Two butterfly bushes got a bit wilty on top. Other than that, no damage at all!!
    No black on anything.
    Nothing damaged at church either. Actually, everything looks very gorgeous here and lots of people have passed by to say how undamaged it all looks.
    It is really only the direction I face. Frost doesn't often hit the front garden!

GGG

• 17 years ago

Reading all of the previous posts, I see that our garden was not alone in the general devastation! Ironically, the oriental lilies and clematis Jackmanii (those not covered up when I ran out of sheets) did just as well as those I covered! The clematis is in full bloom! Next year I'll concentrate on hydrangeas.

• 17 years ago

I strolled around the gardens again this evening and my list got longer. The new stuff:

- Russsian tea olives. Browned top leaves and wilted new growth
    - Obvious frost damage (leaf burn) on young cabbages and califlowers
    - Beets are now mush
    - Many more wilted and weeping rose blooms than yesterday
    - Young peaches ain't looking good
    - More sweet pea vines are moping (and these are supposed to be cold hardy)
    - Young holly shrubs have serious leaf burn
    - Spiderworts are blackening

I did note the plants in the places sheltered from the wind faired better, specifically those in the warmer microclimate around the brick house and those tucked around the greenhouse.

-

• 17 years ago

My list just got longer too--

Loropetalum -- pathetic, even though they were up against the foundation which is surprising
    Crimson Queen Jap Maple -- toast
    Snowball Bush -- brown blooms
    Any tall Iris -- buds/stalks are on the ground & mushy
    Cannas -- a few I forgot to cover are mush
    Daylilies -- will be ok but look mushier today
    Basil -- leaves touching the sides of pots got blackened
    Roses -- covered or uncovered none of them seem to be freeze damaged but I managed to snap some limbs on my Iceberg & Glamis Castle varieties while trying to protect them.
    Weigelia -- tips are wilted
    Mums -- all new growth is shot except some Ryan's Pink near the house
    Spiderworts -- droopy

I'm gonna' have to invest in a better defense plan before next year. Surprises are all my clematis did great without cover as did all my peegee hydrangeas.

Squirrellypete

• 17 years ago

I am just sick-- my fig trees had been all leafed out and covered with spring figs, but all the leaves and figs are mush. At least I'll get figs this fall, probably. I think I probably lost a lot of blueberries. They'd berried out but the berries look fried, as well as a lot of leaves. The pawpaw trees' blossoms and leaves are dead, the peach trees don't look good... No fruit this spring except from the strawberry bed and raspberry/blackberry cane patches. I'm really worried that my two pomegranate bushes aren't going to come back.

Oh and the hydrangeas that had been budding aren't going to do much this year, but everything else will come back I think.

• 17 years ago

Has anyone else noticed that not a single weed was killed?

• 17 years ago

Well if the foliage had hardened off then it wasn't killed (unless the plant was tender like elephant ears). Unfortunately the kudzu had not leafed out so it wasn't set back any. The Tree of Heaven trees near me did get all their foliage killed, but I know they'll be back.

I tell you, I can't stand to even go outside and look around - it just breaks my heart to see so much damage.

• 17 years ago

LOL Good one Sugar Hill why is that?

I lost my hydrangea. Poor thing. Also the new buds on my crossvine are all wilted. Don't know if that means they will eventually fall off or if they will still bloom.

Nothing else seemed to get hit. even my tiny little bleeding heart withstood the nights.

Cath

• 17 years ago

Sorry to drop in here and brag, but I weathered the freeze rather well.

Whew!

My azaleas were done anyway. They were near the end of their cycle and a few 80 plus degree days had them on the downside.

My hydrangeas are nipped back just a little on some of the tip growth, but the flower clusters look to be OK.

My veggie garden, where I had tomatoes waist high already, had a little damage. I ran the sprinkler over the whole thing all night Sat night and when I got up Sun I was horrified to find the whole thing covered in ice. My gorgeous tomatoes were covered under a layer of ice...yikes!

Our low was 24.

I let everything thaw out and when I surveyed the situation yesterday, some are untouched completely, others moderately. That layer of ice insulated the plants exactly the way that I hoped that it would.

I would say that I lost 10% of my sweet corn. My peppers and eggplant are completely fine. A little pruning on the tomatoes will solve my issues there.

I do hate to see the water bill. Three straight nights of all night watering I am sure will add up.

• 17 years ago

The wind blew the dogwood blossoms off my neighbor's big old tree before the freeze started, so I am up to my ankles in dogwood snow, LOL. My roses and loropetalum are fine (though I'm sure I've lost some of the rose buds but no medium-term damage); the butterfly bush looks horrid but will recover. But, as sugarhill noted, all the weeds are doing better than ever.

• 17 years ago

Took a survey this morning again. It's really a story of the good the bad and the ugly out there!
    The UGLY
    Hydrangea macrophyla
    chionathus virginicus
    Yellow saucer Magnolia ;>(
    Chinese Redbud - looks extra sad with it's fading blooms too!
    Coralbark Maple
    Fullmoon Maple
    Exbury Azalea
    Azaleas- Leaves fine all flowers tan and hanging
    Vitex- nasty!
    Viburmun Doublefile no more white wedding cake out the back door
    Fothergilla
    The GOOD:
    All the roses even the giant Don Juan all the buds look good.
    Salvias Lucantha still to small to be bothered. Gregii a couple early buds dropped off
    Babtisia
    Spanish Lavender
    Oakleaf Hydrangea
    All the perennials on the hillside

• 17 years ago

(sorry to be late in responding- have been out of town for a week) esh- yes, the h. macrophylla are the ones I mean. Good old Nikko Blue and a new Lady in Red, both were hit hard. the h. quercifolia seem to be fine. A further look around this weekend revealed that a lot of the azaleas were damaged also, including a nmber of different natives.

• 17 years ago

Sorry to be late here too, but figured I would add my herb-ituaries to the list.

Deaths

Cucumbers - I haven't had any luck this year with cukes. The seeds I set barely germinated, then died. I bought plants after the freeze, but it was still cool and all but two of them died.

Bush Beans - They were germinating and I had a few that had sprouted. I covered them with a sheet, but no luck- they all went to bean heaven.

Squash - My crookneck squash all died. I wimped out and bough some seedlings from Lowes today to replace those.

Survivors:

Tomatoes - I covered them with buckets and they all lived. Strangely enough, I even have blooms already setting on some of my Better Boys.

Peppers - Bell peppers lived with covering. Banana peppers barely pulled through, too.

Squash - Zucchini squash fared very well. I only lost one out of 9 plants.

Corn - I was worried because it was only 2 inches tall when the frost hit last week, but it lived and seems to be growing fine now.

Broccoli - Not surprising, since it's a cool weather crop. My broccoli is the biggest thing in my garden right now.

Morning Glories - About half lived!

• 17 years ago

Sorry to read all the herbi-tuaries (lol). I think I've lost eight crepe myrtles, six of which I had pruned back. The pruned ones had tender sprouts, and of course, all are burnt and crispy. The others do not appear to be leafing out. I guess all I can do is sit and wait and see what happens. Should I remove the crispy sprouts from the pruned trees?

• 17 years ago

My poor pitiful Fig tree :( Every leaf killed by the cold, I wonder if I'll see any figs this year. The annuals I impatiently planted which I covered with pinestraw and made certain to water are mostly okay, a little leaf damage is all, but those I forgot, ackkkk, they're mushy, yucky history.

• 17 years ago

I would wait on the crepe myrtles. I noticed one of mine now has new buds on it. It's going to be warm starting this week so everything should go through a growth spurt.

• 17 years ago

mid12nt: Wow, your figs got harmed? We have like 3 20 year old fig trees in our back yard and they are LOADED with figs right now. They look healthier than they ever have and for some reason the squirrels and birds haven't bothered the figs much yet.

PS: An update on my herb-ituaries... my garden has fully recovered and is taking off like a bat out of Helman's. I can barely keep up with all the new growth. I had to enlist some help from my family and have a "trellis making party" because my vines (morning glories, snap peas, and beans) started growing in overdrive.

• 17 years ago

It seems my only permanent herb-ituaray are my mini gardenias. Not sure why, but the entier plant, not just the new growth is dead on both of them. A shame since it's take me 3 years to get them to this size. SIGH.

• 17 years ago

I was looking at some of my radicans gardenias today and thinking about getting rid of them. They were 2 feet high and about 3 feet wide and beautiful. I am not seeing new growth so far and am wondering how far back I need to cut them. Some parts (few) are healthy but still....

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County