SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

strange happenings

KaraLynn
16 years ago

I've had a couple strange things happen in my yard this past week. The first started when I tried to mow down the weeds that have sprung up all over my lawn. As I was mowing I spotted a dead bird laying just behind the house and went around it, planning to come back later to dispose of it. Unfortuneatly it started raining before I finished mowing so I didn't get back to the bird until the next day. When I went out to get rid of the dead bird I didn't see it so I thought maybe some scavenger carried it off during the night. Just to make sure I looked over the area one more time. That's when I spotted a small mound of dirt with what looked like feathers sticking up out of it. I used my trowel to dig into the mound and there was the dead bird. It looked like something had tunneled up under the bird and then tried to drag it down underground while at the same time pushing dirt up and around the bird. There were no dig marks in the grass around the mound but that bird was about halfway in the ground with the rest covered in dirt so that all you could see was the tip of one wing. What could or would do something like that?

The second strange thing I found was when I went to check out the stand of running bamboo that is growing just behind my property. The bamboo is currently putting up a bunch of new shoots so I wanted to see if any where popping up in my yard. There was one shoot that was growing about 15 feet away from the rest of the bamboo (but not in my yard) that just 2 days ago was about as tall as me. When I looked at it yesterday that shoot was laying on the ground and looked like it had been mangled! It was all chewed up all the way down to the base and whatever had done the chewing had also tried to dig up the rest of shoot. After finding that I looked over the rest of the bamboo and found a second new shoot that had suffered a similar fate. Does anyone know what might have tried to eat the bamboo?

Comments (23)