SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megajas

Groupings/Clumpings/Companions

megajas
16 years ago

ok, the potager forum has a short thread on thriller/filler/spiller. Well, I have a list of plantings that I want to include in my new back yard (we just had a new retaining wall built & have to re-do all the plantings). I will have (5) 2'x 6'-8' x 10" high planting boxes that will be dedicated to herbs and veggies, but I want to have a cottage hodge podge in the remainder of the garden in flowing beds with pathing. My problem is I am having a really hard time figuring out groups of 3-4 plants to all plant together to form pretty "vinettes" during the season. So, if I could get some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it! here are the plants:

FLOWERS & SHRUBS: Tea Camellia, Daphne, Vibernum, Tree Peony, Crape Myrtle, Iris, Verbena, Dianthus, Rosemary, Lavender, Hardy Fuchsia, Zinnias, Dahlias, Butterfly Bush, Salvias: see herbs, Daylily, Oriental Lilies, Liatris, Black Eye Susan, Coneflower, Daisy, Sedums, Gadiolus, Summer Phlox

HERBS: Basil-cinnamon, genovese and purple ruffles; Cilantro; Mints-pineapple, chocolate, banana, berries&cream, sweet pear; Oregano-greek or italian & golden; Sage-purple, lowry's Peach autumn, honeymelon, grape scented, fruit sage; Thyme- english or french, golden lemon, rose petal and lavender

VEGETABLES: peppers, tomatoes, summer squash, zuchini squash, carrots, lettuce, peas, watermelon

FRUIT: blueberries

Those are basically my "must haves". I was also thinking of using a few types of grasses or such for texture & color. I know some things will not over-winter (sages) and I plan on taking cuttings to over winter... but if anyone could give me help in grouping these for plantings I would REALLY appreciate it! I am starting to see seeds and plant starts in my sleep trying to figure it all out! Between bloom times, heights, colors, ect... I'm going cross-eyed & bloom brained.

-Bonnie

Comments (2)

Sponsored