SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarabell

Blue Spruce long-term, thuja short-term questions

sarabell
14 years ago

For quick height/screening, a solution I keep coming across is to put in fast-growers and slow-growers, and just take out the fast-growers when they're no longer needed. I have a few Co. Blue Spruces right now, and am thinking about putting a few Thujas (maybe Techny, b/c I like the width better than a GG?) behind them just until the Blue Spruces get some height (they're only about 3' now lol). (there is room now-- of course they'd be too crowded once the Spruce get some size, but that won't be for a number of years, & of course the plan is to take the fast-growers out before then).

I've never had to chop down/take out a tree, though. How DO you take them out-- is it something I will possibly be able to do myself? I always thought that to take a tree out, you had to have a company come in to grind down the root base and everything ($$$$, too)-- or it would try to sprout back up from the stump, is that not true? If I could just chop down, I don't think a stump remaining would be a problem unless it tried to regrow, or caused another problem I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21