SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adaminny

Keeping my Blue Spruce Beautiful

adaminny
13 years ago

I recently (two months ago)had 16 Blue Spruce put in to cover about 175 feet of my property as an eventual "screen" from the road. They are all 7-8 feet already. Initially I had a soaker hose wrapped around the base of each and would turn the hose on for an hour or two a couple times a week based on the summer heat in NY but discovered that the first couple of trees were getting water but less and less down the row so I am back to putting the hose at the base of the tree for 2-4 minutes and soaking the tree. I did cover each tree with at least a few inches of mulch as well. The tree's are doing OK but each has at least some "dead" branches already taking away from the look as the dead brown branches stand out from the rest. There is no consistent area of each tree as some are dead on the bottom and some in the middle. The landscapper who planted them had them dropped off on a Tuesday and some were not planted until Thursday or even Friday so they sat in a pile with my sprinkler on them for 1-3 days, could that have affeected so many of these branches where they are dying now? Should I be fertilizing them? I bought the typical "pine tree" fertizlizer stakes at Home Depot and put one at the base of each tree but dont feel like it will make any difference, at least not in the short term. So -- my question is -- how do i make sure this huge investment is not ruined? Should I be getting a professional to care initially for them? Is something like Tru-Green who takes care of my lawn an option? (They will say they can, but I want to know for sure). Finally -- I just had my lawn around the trees treated with a fungicide for pesky Brown Patch so I know I have some fungus issues. The lot is one acre and was cleared two years ago so I could build this house so most of my "yard" is new growth except for the 20 or so trees on the sides and back that I kept as a natural barrier. any help is appreciated and I can take pics if that will help.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!