SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sillymesillyne

Rimadyl for short term use in 6 months old pups?

sillymesillyne
15 years ago

My 2 pups are going in for spay/neuter soon. I was just about to order (online) my Friends of Animals certificates. I decided to recheck with my vet before ordering.

Anyway, as usual with this vet, things are never simple. For one thing, she says she doesn't use the sedation that the certificate covers (never mind that the certificate doesn't say what specific sedation it is.. when I asked why the difference she sarcastically stated that she uses a sedation med that works! Not to mention that I think her charging for the nonstandard sedation would make her ineligible for participation in the FOA certificate program), so that will cost 30 dollars x 2.

Cones are going to cost 16 x 2. I knew the cones wouldn't be covered, but I'm going to ask for non external sutures... and as usual, i could not get a straight answer from the vet's office..have been told she (sometimes) uses both kinds of sutures even in the same procedure? That sounds a little weird, no? One of the reasons I was interested in the non external sutures was so the pups wouldn't need those dreaded cones and the vets office says they will need them even if they get all non external sutures. Is this true? There is a 14 x 2 cost for something else, too. Can't remember right now.

I know that take away (for at home) pain meds are not covered. I asked what she uses for pain meds. She told me Rimadyl I was very surprised to hear this and also a bit concerned. My dog Toby was on rimadyl and he had to have liver tests before even starting the Rimadyl... and he had to be rechecked every 6 months after.

Is Rimadyl ok for the pups? They are 6 months old as of 8/2. They would take the Rimadyl for 5 to 7 days...I don't know the dose, yet. The pups weigh about 40 pounds. I will have DH weigh them when he gets home from work, today. In any case, they are under 50 pounds. If Rimadyl is not ok for the pups can someone tell me what is? Something i can ask for. I don't want Bridget & Flanagan to be in pain.

One more thing, the vet's office asked me if they had ever missed a dose of heart worm meds. I told her no. They have taken 3 doses so far, the 4th dose is due on the 18th of this month. She said it would be extremely dangerous for the pups to have surgery if there was a chance of heart worm infection.

This is where I am, once again, confused. We got the pups from a rescue shelter in Jackson, Mississippi. They were 10 weeks old. The shelter got them when they were just over 8 weeks old. The shelter was full but the shelter manager took them in anyway.. she had to. Someone dropped of a box of 3 puppies. She kept them in an her office the whole time.

When we got them up here, we had to take them for the next set of shots. The vet asked us about HW prevention. We told her we wanted it. I thought they would need to be tested for HW, first. Apparently not. She said because of their age they would go straight to the meds.

So here is my question.. if she wasn't worried about it then, should I now worry about it? The office manager said that if they have ever missed a dose we would need to give them a 25 x 2 test. As you can see this low cost spay neuter is adding up, fast. We will give the pups everything they need, but we don't want to give them things they don't need.

This whole HW thing really confuses me. Since we are in Boston I thought we might not use HW meds, year round, knowing we would have to have the pups HW tested when we put them back on it (before, actually). But the vet says either way, year round or part year, they still need to be tested.

Can someone give me knowledgeable info. on the HW thing, please?

I'm sorry this is long, but I need to get this certificate today and I want to be clear on all of this. Especially the use of Rimadyl. If that's not a good idea I need to ask for an alternative. There is no guarantee that this vet offers an alternative. I need to find out ahead of time.

Thanks,

Silly

Comments (14)