SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sillymesillyne

My Pup has a luxating patella?

sillymesillyne
15 years ago

Hi,

Last night one of my puppies, Flanagan, went racing down the porch steps and the next thing we knew he was howling in pain and holding his right back leg up. I thought maybe he stepped on something and he did let me check his pad and in between his toes. We got him into the house and after awhile he was able to put his leg down, But he was acting mighty strange. Pacing back and forth all over the house and wouldn't come near us.. he kept facing the wall. Eventually, that slowed down and he came up on the couch next to me. I barely touched his thigh and he growled at me. Got down and the mad pacing started all over again. I called the 24/7 Emergency Vet Hospital. Doc told me to give it a couple of hours and if not better, call back and maybe bring him in. He did get better up until 10:30 that night (he first injured himself about 2 pm?) Again, a sharp yelp (no howling, just the one yelp) and his back leg was up again. He was fine about 5 minutes after.

Called our vet this morning... after very painful exam for Flanagan vet says it is LP...at first she didn't know what it was because she started by examining his pad and in between his toes.. howls of protest and pain from Flanny...

It wasn't until she examined his foot a second time... no pain this time. Then she realized it might be a LP. She felt it in his knee. She said the reason for the pain during the first feel of his pad and toes was because she was holding his foot in such away to cause the knee to slip.

I was not there, DH took him. Anyway, she sent him home with a months worth of Rimadyl and told us he needs to go easy and if pain is still bad after 2 to 3 days he will need surgery.

She took no X rays and she told DH that he was born with the LP. Now, after researching LP on line, it seems to me that this is more of a genetic problem in small breeds. Flanagan is a Chow mix and weighs about 55 pounds. I read that this can also be caused by trauma. I don't always see eye to eye with this vet... my DH is much better with her.

What can I expect with this LP? Also, the initial run down the steps caused him terrible pain...and also during the exam. But since then the knee does go out and he has the raised back leg but only once did he yelp in pain. It has gone out at least 10 times, I'm thinking? Why does it not seem to cause him pain.. no yelping. He does seem to be managing it now. By that I mean, he doesn't look surprised when it happens and it looks like he knows to ease up on it and slowly get the leg down? Is this good news (aside for the fact that he doesn't appear to be suffering, I mean) or bad news. Can this go away. I hate the thought of surgery. Plus, it has not been easy trying to keep him quiet and resting. His very playful, high strung sister, Bridget, isn't helping matters either. Also, I started this post yesterday. So the injury actually happened on Sunday.

My Flanagan is only 10 months (as of 12/2) and I hate to see him suffer. I could use some advice and good thoughts, please. I have no idea what to expect.

Thank you and if you have any questions, just ask.

Silly

Comments (17)