SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kardis_va

I need a long-term lawn plan

kardis_va
16 years ago

I'm installing sod later this week which is a blend of 30% each of tttf (Millenium, 2nd Millenium, FineLawn Elite) and 10% kbg (Princeton-105). Why sod right now? Since there's a sod farm near me this seems to be the most cost effective way to cover my mud-pit of a dog yard pronto (I moved into a new house at the end of October and the grass installed by the contractor is gone).

Question 1: I'm looking for advice for establishing a serviceable dog yard in the long term. I've been reading the forum archives and see some great suggestions for over-seeding -- such as Dutch white clover -- but am also wondering if I should do other things like introduce a little more kbg this fall for additional healing ability.

Question 2: I've taken note of the watering schedule posted here -- are there any adjustments for sod establishment this time of year? Should I still water if I have snow cover?

Hopefully helpful info:

Central, Virginia, Zone 7a

Soil is loamy and relatively well-drained with a fairly neutral pH.

Area: ~1,200 sf (balance of fenced dog yard is dense pasture fescue and will likely remain that way.)

Yard gets full sun mostly from south and west but eventually will have small patches of light shade.

Three large dogs that have brief spurts of activity but mostly sit around (they get a good amount of exercise in a pasture outside of the dog yard).

Water supply is limited (low volume well).

Area is small enough to mow with push reel mower (I have a Scotts 20" that I can set to mow at 3" max). I suspect the fine-blade fescues might be a challenge to mow with this reel mower but it's the dog yard and an unkempt appearance is okay.

Thanks -- I've learned a lot from you folks already!

Kardis

Comments (4)