SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Long term planning for veg gardens and orchards

Hi,

This looks like the right forum to ask this question.

I have acquired a very old farm property that is no longer a working farm and the acreage was cut down to 13 acres, mostly wooded.

THere's about 3 clear acres surrounding the house, flat, may have been pasture once but now it's lawn.

I'd like to put in an orchard, brambles and small fruits and a veg garden. I'd also like to retain at least the yard around the house for ornamentals.

How much land have you allotted to fruit growing out of what you own and how much to a kitchen garden (veg and herbs)?

If you were able to do it over again and had the money, time and help to do it right given your current location , what would you do to make your working garden more efficient and pleasant? Would you change the siting? Add any buildings, specific fencing, change the sizes/locations/materials used in your plot(s), pathways (if any)? WHat really bugs you about your garden setup that you wish you could change right away?

I am kind of frozen in inaction except for thinking I ought to order some fruit trees since it will take several years for those to mature. I'm getting close to 50, so I'm also thinking about "mature" gardening aches and pains...

Thanks so much for your response!

Suje

Comments (9)